Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shell plate thrust bearing?

The intent is to reduce and control the friction between the shellplate bolt and the shellplate. Some use a thrust bearing and washer assembly. I suppose a polyethylene washer would provide some help, but nowhere as near as much as one of the bearings.

How does this work? The picture shows that it goes between the star bottom and the top of the shellplate. These two move together as on unit. Wouldn't it be better to reduce friction at the bolt top or the interface of the shellplate and platform?

How does this work? The picture shows that it goes between the star bottom and the top of the shellplate. These two move together as on unit. Wouldn't it be better to reduce friction at the bolt top or the interface of the shellplate and platform?

It sounds like the photo is not showing a 650 that most of use it with. the 650 does not have the star

I like it

The link is for the one for the 550, the seller has a different one for the 650. The washer goes between the star and the bolt head which is what is stated in the description narrative. The arrow in the picture is a little misleading.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought three sets from McMaster - one for each 650, tried it, then removed and forgot about them. I don't have any problems without them, with no complications from more parts and wrong height.