Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning Trigger Install Question

Fergus

I have just installed a Henning Trigger following the video's posted on his website and have run into a small problem. The trigger is not resetting after each round - I can move the trigger forward slightly with my support hand to reset it but its not doing it by itself.

Everything appears to be operating smoothly when I was installing it and dry firing and I've polished up my bar and the top of the trigger plunger. I don't think I missed a step but one never knows.

Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fergus

Edited by Fergus

Fergus> Henning sells a range of trigger return spring weights so you can fine tune the return spring tension. A common happening with the Henning trigger system is that people expect that there is going to be enough trigger return spring tension to PUSH their finger back and reset the trigger post shot. The lighter return springs are not strong enough to push your finger back post shot so you have to manually row your finger back far enough to reset the trigger. If you are expecting the trigger to push your finger back post shot then you need to install one of the heavier trigger return springs.

If you are shooting and the trigger needs to be manually pushed back forward before it moves forward enough to reset then it sounds like you have not polished up the trigger plunger and underside of the trigger bar well enough. Also use some slide glide grease on these two friction points to make sure its well lubricated. If you have polished and lubricated these parts properly you shouldn't be able to feel any bumps or grittiness when you pull the trigger. It should be smooth as glass all the way through the trigger press and hammer fall. Also keep in mind that you always need a little bit of extra trigger travel past the trigger reset and hammer fall points. If you setup the trigger reset (forward trigger travel) too tight it will not reset consistently. When you dry fire the gun to test the trigger reset you need a slight gap between the head of the reset screw and the frame when the trigger actually resets. This gives you a little bit of extra trigger travel to compensate for how much the sear cage squirms around when you are actually shooting. Setting the trigger pretravel too close to the reset point will feel awesome on the bench in dry fire but will produce inconsistent reset functionality when you live fire.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Cha-Lee, I did leave a little space between the frame and the pre-travel screw which I have set at about 0.060" as measured from the flat screw head to the trigger body. I'm going to pull it apart and do some more polishing tonight.

I was expecting that the trigger would push against my finger as I backed my finger off but I'm not feeling that so probably a heavier trigger return spring would be good. As I'm in Canada it may be easier to to pick a heavier spring up from a gunsmith next time I'm in the city.

Thanks

Dave

p.s. No luck with the polishing so its going to a gunsmith on Thursday.

Edited by Fergus