Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major load development

BlueOvalBruin

Hello,

My new glock open gun should be finished this week and I'm looking to develop some loads to chrono this weekend. I've been reading this subforum a lot and have some ideas, but most loads won't fit in a glock mag. I will be using a G17 with SJC KKM barrel and SJC 11 port comp no holes.

I have the following powders, bullets, and primers to play with. Any suggestions on loads?

Autocomp

HS6

WSF

Montana Gold 115gr JHP

Montana Gold 121gr IFP

Montana Gold 124gr JHP

Federal Small Pistol

Federal Small Pistol Magnum

Federal Small Rifle

I use lightened striker springs which is why I'm using Federal primers.

Thanks.

Hello,

My new glock open gun should be finished this week and I'm looking to develop some loads to chrono this weekend. I've been reading this subforum a lot and have some ideas, but most loads won't fit in a glock mag. Use an OAL of 1.155-1.158. I will be using a G17 with SJC KKM barrel and SJC 11 port comp no holes.

I have the following powders, bullets, and primers to play with. Any suggestions on loads?

Autocomp

HS6...start at 7.3 grains and chrono map up VERY SLOWLY

WSF

Montana Gold 115gr JHP

Montana Gold 121gr IFP

Montana Gold 124gr JHP

Federal Small Pistol

Federal Small Pistol Magnum

Federal Small Rifle

I use lightened striker springs which is why I'm using Federal primers.

Thanks.

My 9 major load with autocomp is 6.8. You might want to start a little lower than 7.3.

+1 on the 6.8 Autocomp. MG121 IFP, Federal small pistol primer and about 1.150 - 1.55 OAL. Gives me 169 - 170 PF out of my Open gun.

Thanks for all the input. I’m going to start out with the following loads based on all your input and the material I’ve read from other threads. The charges below represent the starting and ending loads, will increase charges in increments of 0.2gr.

124gr MG JHP, 6.6-7.2gr Autocomp, 1.145” OAL, FSP

124gr MG JHP, 7.6-8.4gr HS6, 1.145” OAL, FSP

124gr MG JHP, 6.3-6.9gr WSF, 1.145” OAL, FSP

121gr MG IFP, 6.8-7.4gr Autocomp, 1.145” OAL, FSP

121gr MG IFP, 7.8-8.6gr HS6, 1.145” OAL, FSP

121gr MG IFP, 6.5-7.1gr WSF, 1.145” OAL, FSP

115gr MG JHP, 7.2-7.8gr Autocomp, 1.145” OAL, FSP

115gr MG JHP, 8.2-9.0gr HS6, 1.145” OAL, FSP

115gr MG JHP, 6.9-7.5gr WSF, 1.145” OAL, FSP

Does anything above look suspicious? The OAL of 1.145” was based on SJC’s recommendation, the barrel was throated to their specs. It going to be a lot of rounds but I might as well get an apples to apples comparison right off the bat.

124gr MG JHP, 7.6-8.4gr HS6, 1.145" OAL, FSP

My G17 makes major with room to spare with 8.1 grains using a 1.158 OAL.

Get real "persnickety" . You could be where you need to be before 8 grains using your OAL.

Just please approach it slowly.

Jim

Yeah, I was going to start at 7.6 and work up to 8.4 in increments of .2gr. I wouldn't be surprised if I hit major at 7.8, the federal SPP's should tell me if I'm getting into trouble. I'll stop if things aren't looking good or I hit low 170's. My SJC KKM barrel has an insane amount of case support fortunately.

I have some disappointing results from the chrono last weekend. I tested the WSF loads and am far from the 171 PF that I'm aiming for. Using WSF, the highest PF I got with the 124 MG JHP's was 159.1 (6.7gr), 160.5 with 121 IFP (7.1gr), and 158.2 with the 115JHP (7.7gr).

They were all pretty soft shooting, but more flippy than I'd like. Fed SPPs looked great, the corners were still mostly round.

Gun worked great, not a single hickup, even with lower power minor rounds. Gun did shoot better not surprisingly with the hotter loads than factory 115gr UMC.

I'll give WSF one more chance and then it's off to HS6.

Tried 7.3gr of WSF under a 124gr MG JHP at 1.147" this weekend and got 166.4PF. Load was soft but more flippy than I'd like. Federal SPP's look good still. Ejection was starting to get more eratic than before, maybe I'll keep bumping it and change the spring from the 14lb wolff to 11lb ismi.

WSF seems a little fast for what your doing. HS6 and Autocomp would be better, another is Silhoute. You are loading a little short of the common OAL so make sure you start low and verify the OAL for the loads you try. Good Luck.

WSF is fast on some charts but not on others. Fed SPP's still look good and the brass looks good too (those SJC KKM chambers have a ton of support). HS6 and autocomp are next on my list though. I have a pound of each sitting on my bench waiting to get thrown in the hopper.

Have you tried AA#5, have great results in 5 1/2 Tangflolio with 115's and heavier, Brian Enos himself gave me the load many moons ago, start a few tenths higher than the max load and go from there, DO NOT QOUTE ME, I believe I was running 8.4 grns to get a 177 pf with 115jhp. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried an HS6 load the other day. 8.2gr under a 121IFP at 1.150” OAL, Fed SPP. It got me to 165.1PF and was much nicer than the WSF loads. That last WSF load I tried chronoed at 172.6PF and was still flippy.

With the HS6 load, the triangle in my deltapoint just kissed the top before it came down. Next I’ll try 8.4gr and 8.6gr.