Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland speedloader holder and Comp II loaders

flycaster

Hi, all. I'm a pretty experienced shooter with a bottom feeder, but I'm considering using my recently acquired S&W 67 in a competition starting this fall. I have a couple Safariland Comp 2 loaders, and the same number HKS. I want to settle on one brand before I buy more. My problem is that the Safariland loaders don't fit my Safariland belt speedloader holder. It's marked "for comp II only-but they aren't properly retained. The HKS ones are fine. The Comps are a tad longer, and don't lock under the holder's "lip". I was leaning toward the Comps for competition over the HKS's, but the speedloaders shouldn't be flying around the range. Any thoughts- or should I stick with the HKS? BTW- blazing fast reloads, such as in IDPA or USPSA aren't needed... just, well, "quick". Thanks for your time.

Chuck

Hi, all. I'm a pretty experienced shooter with a bottom feeder, but I'm considering using my recently acquired S&W 67 in a competition starting this fall. I have a couple Safariland Comp 2 loaders, and the same number HKS. I want to settle on one brand before I buy more. My problem is that the Safariland loaders don't fit my Safariland belt speedloader holder. It's marked "for comp II only-but they aren't properly retained. The HKS ones are fine. The Comps are a tad longer, and don't lock under the holder's "lip". I was leaning toward the Comps for competition over the HKS's, but the speedloaders shouldn't be flying around the range. Any thoughts- or should I stick with the HKS? BTW- blazing fast reloads, such as in IDPA or USPSA aren't needed... just, well, "quick". Thanks for your time.

Chuck

Neither. Comp III's all the way. Not having blazing fast reloads is ok, but I like having more speedloader to grab and steer the bullets into the cylinder.

The holders are 2 different sizes, the same as the loading blocks and speedloaders. One size fits K frame and one size fits L frame. You have a K frame. You need all K frame gear. It sounds like you may have L frame pouches.

Edited by Toolguy

I'm a pretty experienced shooter with a bottom feeder, but I'm considering using my recently acquired S&W 67 in a competition starting this fall. I have a couple Safariland Comp 2 loaders, and the same number HKS.

If you're going to stick with CompII or HKS loaders, I prefer the CompIIs, only because I'm used to a "push" release. Compared to the CompII, though, the HKS, with it's twist-release, is likely easier on the gun's yoke - particularly the yoke screw, which holds the whole cylinder assembly in the gun. As far as speed, I'm about as fast with the HKS as with my CompII, but the HKS took more practice.

Since you'll be using them in competition, though, I agree with Forrest: Spend the money up front for CompIIIs or Jetloaders (my preference). For speedy match reloads, both are a quantum leap up from CompII and HKS loaders. Once you start shooting your 67 in matches, it's likely you'll get the itch to buy some CompIII or Jetloaders anyway, so you might as well save the time and money and get them now. ;)

And, as Warren mentioned, be sure your holders are for a k-frame. If you need new holders, I'd recommend North Mountain, or ReadyTac. I use ReadyTac, but NM is top-notch stuff, so when I get more, they'll be NM. Safariland holders aren't IDPA-legal, btw.

Regardless of the speedloader & holder used, the key to good reloads is a buttload of practice.

:cheers:

Tom

I'm with the "neither" crowd. I prefer JetLoaders, but Comp IIIs are better than Comp IIs. Get some ReadyTactical speedloader holders to go with your new JetLoaders.

I have Comp II's with the SL holders and they work fine. Can hold it upsidedown and shake it and they stay put! Like Toolguy said, you must have the wrong size.

Richard

You (and a couple others) got that right. I just checked the Safariland site, and my holder is for L frames. Must have had it for my old Ruger GP. Thanks again. Problem solved.

Chuck

"Regardless of the speedloader & holder used, the key to good reloads is a buttload of practice."

Boy- ain't that the truth! I have all summer to practice, and I sure will be doing that. Gotta love those wheelies, though.

Chuck