Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 spl bullet seating on Square Deal?

I have a SDB on the way and I'll be reloading .38 spl exclusively. I'm wondering how the seater/crimper will be set from the factory? I intend to load HBWC primarily, but will also do loading SWC and some round nose as well. Do I need to reset the die for each type of bullet? Thanks.

The crimp die should be set pretty close for all your loads. You will need to check overall cartridge length (OAL) in a good loading manual for each brand and style of bullet and adjust that die accordingly, using a caliper to measure several rounds. One thing to watch for: if the bolt in the shell plate is loose or you don't have 4 rounds in the shell plate when you crimp, your OAL may vary some. A few thousnadths either way won't really hurt but it is something you need to keep an eye on for a while. Recheck every time you change bullet configuration. You will also get 2 different bullet seating dies and you might want to use the one that best suits the particular configuration of the bullets you are loading.

Hopes this helps.

You will only need to adjust the crimp if your bullet configuration changes. The adjustments will probably be small. If your bullets have a cannelure, you'll need to adjust your seating depth so the crimp is in the right place. If you have no cannelure, it will probably be just a light crimp anyway and an adjustment isn't likely needed.

Thanks for your replies. As I understand it now, the press will come with different seating stems to vary the depth based on the bullet shape be it HBWC, SWC, or RN, and that I also can adjust the depth as well. :D