Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measure spring

OK so here's my situation with my xl650 I got in December. It works great except when I use AA#9 for when I load 30carbine.. That powder is so fine (like dust) it tends to gall-up the powder measure a little. It gets stuck in between the pistol bar and the spacer plate, around there, just a few grains. This added friction makes it a little harder to slide the pistol bar back and forth. I've switched to different pistol bars and plates I have, no difference, it's just too fine of powder. I've adjusted the wingnut on the rod to make it work, but it would work a lot better if there was a spring to assist the pull-back.

I know Dillon powder measures used to have this spring until the rod was added. Are the springs still for sale? I just need 1. Or does anyone have a part number for a spring that will work good in place of the original Dillon ones?

Thanks

Edited by morrow

OK so here's my situation with my xl650 I got in December. It works great except when I use AA#9 for when I load 30carbine.. That powder is so fine (like dust) it tends to gall-up the powder measure a little. It gets stuck in between the pistol bar and the spacer plate, around there, just a few grains. This added friction makes it a little harder to slide the pistol bar back and forth. I've switched to different pistol bars and plates I have, no difference, it's just too fine of powder. I've adjusted the wingnut on the rod to make it work, but it would work a lot better if there was a spring to assist the pull-back.

I know Dillon powder measures used to have this spring until the rod was added. Are the springs still for sale? I just need 1. Or does anyone have a part number for a spring that will work good in place of the original Dillon ones?

Thanks

If you call Dillon and tell them this they'll send you a spring n/c.

be

be

I just got off the phone with Dillon and they said to measure the thickness of the spacer+powder bar to see if a thicker one can be used. I'll do that and call them back this weekend. Thanks for the help Brian.

be

I just got off the phone with Dillon and they said to measure the thickness of the spacer+powder bar to see if a thicker one can be used.

If they can provide a slightly thicker Powder Bar, that would be a goood thing.

be

I had the same problem a while back and Dillon wouldn't send me the spring. I bought a couple and gave it a try and didn't quite like the results. Dillon said don't use the springs and the fail safe at the same time.

The springs made the powder measure jump around like a jack in the box when the powder bar started dragging. About every 100 rounds I had to stop and clean it up. So it was worse with the springs, not better.

In my case it finaly turned out that the powder measure was just worn out and with finer powder, True Blue and Silhouette, it just would not stop clogging up. Sent it all back to Dillon and they sent me a new one, no problem. The one I sent in was an older model with a solid steel bar and they said those had caused problems just like I was seeing. The heavier solid bar, with no Teflon coating, had worn the aluminum housing enough to let the finer powders clog up the works.

About the same time I also ordered a Arredondo powder bar and a couple of adjustment knobs and that really solved the problem. The plastic powder bar runs smooth with any powder and I have had no problems in several thousand rounds.

I had the same problem a while back and Dillon wouldn't send me the spring. I bought a couple and gave it a try and didn't quite like the results. Dillon said don't use the springs and the fail safe at the same time.

I used the springs and the failsafe on many Powder Measures for many years. I'm guessing, as the manufacturer, and the ones with potential liability issues/lawsuits, their concern would be that if you used the springs, you might be tempted to not use the failsafe - which would a bad thing.

be

Same Dillion 550B powder problem.

I was typing this up when I saw this so I guess I am having the very same problem. My 550B is brand new. I will call Dillion Precision in the morning for some advice. The follwing is what I was working on to ask you guys what the issue is.

I am having an issue with the 550B not putting out the correct powder charge. I had it dialed in at 7.7 grains and for some reason it is all over the place. I pull the handle, I get 7.7, I pull it again and I get 7.0, I pull it again and I get 6.5, I pull it again and it doesn't put any powder out at all, I pull it again and then I get 9.0 ! This thing is all over the place. So I took out all the Accurate #7 powder and tried to get the primers out of the machine and had a problem with that cause I didn't know how to do that properly. Once I got the dawn primers out I than cleaned out the powder hopper with a air compressor. I than put in some clays and got it dialed in at 3.4 grains. Now it seems to be working. I did have 10 rounds made with the #7 powder but didn't feel safe so I took them apart with the bullet puller. I am not very confident with the Dillion powder hopper at all. I am not sure if it is something I am doing wrong. I turn the nut on the powder hopper and try to get it right. Once I think it is correct I run about 10 pulls with an empty case and then weight a case to check it. Maybe the #7 was to fine and jamming the hopper. What do you guys think?

JayJayJay,

Did you check the adjustment of the blue plastic nut at the bottom of the failsafe rod? With the Shellplate empty and the handle pushed forward (as if seating a primer), the nut should be adjusted so that the spring is halfway compressed.

be

JayJayJay,

Did you check the adjustment of the blue plastic nut at the bottom of the failsafe rod? With the Shellplate empty and the handle pushed forward (as if seating a primer), the nut should be adjusted so that the spring is halfway compressed.

be

Thanks, I had already changed out the powder to Clays and then did what you said about the blue nut. That blue nut was not tight like you said so I guess that is what the problem was. I have been messing around with the Clays for an hour and tried to dial it in at 3.4 grains. I check it every 10 pulls and it gets about 3.4 - 3.6 so I guess I am ready to make my set of bullets. So I made the following (15 rounds total):

Winchester JHP 180 Grain bullet

Federal Brass

CCI primers

Clays 3.4 (starting load)

1.125 OAL

The Lyman book said 1.115 but I went with a longer OAL to give me some wiggle room. I will test these 15 round out Tuesday night when I am at the practice match with my local club. I am scared out of mind so I will be wearing a Motorcycle helmet and welders gloves just in case I blow myself up.

JayJayJay,

be

That blue nut was not tight like you said so I guess that is what the problem was.

That will definitely cause inconsistent powder charges because the powder most likely wasn't returning all the way back to the same spot every time.

be

JayJayJay,

be

That blue nut was not tight like you said so I guess that is what the problem was.

That will definitely cause inconsistent powder charges because the powder most likely wasn't returning all the way back to the same spot every time.

be

Thanks again.