Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm MAJOR @ 1.125-1.130 through a trubor

Mat Price

hey guys I just got a loaner trubor from a buddy while my gun being built. He says his gun runs best with an OAL of 1.125. The load he chooses to run is around 7.1 grains of IMR 7625 @ 1.125 with a 124 PDelta RN. This makes about 169 Pf But to me it doesnt shoot very flat at all.

I have an 8 lb can of Hs-6 sitting here That i used to run in my open glock 34. My load for the open glock was 7.7 grains of Hs-6 @ 1.135 oal with a 124 JHP Pdelta.

My question given the shorter oal for this gun what do you guys think a good starting load would be?

I am kind of thinking around 7.0 grains of hs-6 @ 1.125 with 124 JHP

Mat, not sure why you are using 1.125" oal?

My TruBor runs on 1.145 - 1.170".

Right now I'm using 1.165" oal and they run

very well with STI mags with spacers or with

SVI mags with no spacers.

Don't think you have to go down to 1.125".

With HS6 and 1.165" you're in the ballpark

to start your chrono sessions - don't know

what would happen at 1.125".

Good luck.

Jack

I'm running 1.165 MTG RN out of a Clark barrel that has a standard 9 mm chamber. I tried IMR7625 in 9 major and it was just plain violent, but its not bad in a 38SC with 8 holes. 1.125 is very short in a RN, but then again the OGIVE on PD may be the culprit. Make up some dummies and see what it will eat, then do some crono work. HS6, Silhouette, and Autocomp all 3 work well in 9 major. The only 9 major TruBore in these parts is running WSF and honestly it looks a little violent when he shoots it, he is stuck on that powder just like his 38S limited gun, he loads the same stuff in.

Jack, I load 9mm Major out of my glock open guns to 1.150. I am not sure why he loads his so short. But like I said ita loaner. So I didnt want to do something with someones gun they didnt want done. When mine is done i will be loading longer.

I think i am going to make up some dummies @ 1.155 and see how they run.

thanks yall

Edit

Well I just found out my buddy must smoke crack... all the rounds he gave me to "try" through his gun are 1.170... teach me to take his word and not use my own dial calipers. So i am pretty comfortable starting @ 7 grains there.

Edited by Mat Price

Jack, I load 9mm Major out of my glock open guns to 1.150. I am not sure why he loads his so short. But like I said ita loaner. So I didnt want to do something with someones gun they didnt want done. When mine is done i will be loading longer.

thanks yall

Edit

Well I just found out my buddy must smoke crack... all the rounds he gave me to "try" through his gun are 1.170... teach me to take his word and not use my own dial calipers. So i am pretty comfortable starting @ 7 grains there.

7.0gr plenty safe and @150 pf, with 7.7gr HS6 my 5" gun hits 174pf (1403 fps) with 124gr RN set to 1.165 (magnum primers), 7.9gr with SPP gave me 166pf (1338 fps). Have not shot it with small rife primers but I would expect results similar to SPM.

Why would you want to run an OAL that short in a 2011? <_<

Take the barrel out of the gun and load a dummy round and see how long you can go and still have it fall in and out of the chamber properly. Longer OAL in these guns usually means better feeding. It also means more case capacity, which is a good thing with 9mm major.

thanks yall

Edit

7.0gr plenty safe and @150 pf, with 7.7gr HS6 my 5" gun hits 174pf (1403 fps) with 124gr RN set to 1.165 (magnum primers), 7.9gr with SPP gave me 166pf (1338 fps). Have not shot it with small rife primers but I would expect results similar to SPM.

I'm still amazed every time I see you list this HS-6 data. I need 8.4gr to make 172pf, and a bunch of people I know load 8.3gr. I think you are the only person I've ever seen make major with 7.7gr.

thanks yall

Edit

I'm still amazed every time I see you list this HS-6 data. I need 8.4gr to make 172pf, and a bunch of people I know load 8.3gr. I think you are the only person I've ever seen make major with 7.7gr.

Pro2, you're using 115 grain bullets? Might make it with 124 grain bullets??

Jack

thanks yall

Edit

Pro2, you're using 115 grain bullets? Might make it with 124 grain bullets??

Jack

124gr Montana Gold. I need 9.0 to make 170pf with a 115.

I was amazed to make major at 7.7 grs out of my glock 34 every one said 8 + grains so i started @ 7.5 was there on my second test run.

I bet this trubor dont make it @ 7.7 grains... lots and lots and lots o rounds through the bbl.

now here is one thing though pro it could be that both ron and I are using powder that almost 6 years old.

I dont know if he is but i know my powder is at least 6 years old. The guy I get my powder from gave it to me cause the jug was under a foot of Katrina sludge. powder is fine jug is trash. could be those old lots were hotter or something.

I'm running 1.165 MTG RN out of a Clark barrel that has a standard 9 mm chamber. I tried IMR7625 in 9 major and it was just plain violent, but its not bad in a 38SC with 8 holes. 1.125 is very short in a RN, but then again the OGIVE on PD may be the culprit. Make up some dummies and see what it will eat, then do some crono work. HS6, Silhouette, and Autocomp all 3 work well in 9 major. The only 9 major TruBore in these parts is running WSF and honestly it looks a little violent when he shoots it, he is stuck on that powder just like his 38S limited gun, he loads the same stuff in.

Isn't it amazing how two people can have completely different impressions of the same powders in Open guns? I'm currently shooting 7625 in 9 major and I would describe as the exact opposite of "violent". "Calm" is the word I would use, almost like a Limited gun.

If you want to get comfortable and competent with your gun, just find a powder that works, buy a bunch of it, then practice. If you want to find your favorite powder, your only choice is to buy a pound of every viable option and try them all. Reading about what works for other people isn't as helpful as it seems in the abstract.

FWIW I load MG 124 JHPs to 1.180", and CMJs even longer.

well I do like the feel of the 7625. I would not describe it as violent either out of this gun. but it is just plain not near flat at what ever load he has in it. near 3 inches difference between 5 and 15 yards with the gun zeroed @ ten.

I was amazed to make major at 7.7 grs out of my glock 34 every one said 8 + grains so i started @ 7.5 was there on my second test run.

I bet this trubor dont make it @ 7.7 grains... lots and lots and lots o rounds through the bbl.

now here is one thing though pro it could be that both ron and I are using powder that almost 6 years old.

I dont know if he is but i know my powder is at least 6 years old. The guy I get my powder from gave it to me cause the jug was under a foot of Katrina sludge. powder is fine jug is trash. could be those old lots were hotter or something.

You're loading your ammo short for a Glock, right? Mine is loaded to 1.170". There's your difference. :cheers: