Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Comp Q?

XDman

OK, I am new to AR's except some plinking, but would like to change the factory birdcage with a Miculik comp on my CMMG. Besides the comp, what other parts, and what tools would I need to accomplish the changeover?

Armeror's tool and either the upper receiver block or the barrel vice jaws and a vice. If your just doing the one barrel, ask around the club or a local smith. It is a pretty quick process if you have the tools but might be cheaper to have it done if you just need the one done

You could buy an AR armorer's tool for $40-60 or most gun shops sell a buffer tube tool which also has a birdcage wrench built-in. I have one made by Tapco, they are very common and only cost $7-8.

Nothing else is needed for the install. Do not locktite the new muzzle brake.

Edited by AnthonyL

If you are new to them, shoot one first and more importantly, stand beside one..... Muzzle blast is a bit more than what you may be used to. You may need the brake for what your intended use is, but if you haven't experienced it yet, the side blast can be a treat :surprise:

Wistlepig,

Thanks for the comment but I already have several more powerful rifles with muzzle brakes, so I am fully aware of the sound differences.

Everybody else, thanks for the comments. I will see what I can do with my tools.

My bird cage was installed with a lock nut against the bird cage just like the comp you are going to install. So if yours is the same, common hand tools will do the trick. The Miculik comp with just the locknut, no Locktite, has not moved on my rifle. Not sure if instructions came with your comp, on Jerry's video he discusses "clocking the comp" to the shooter, basically 1:00 for right handed and 11:00 for left handed as starting points, shoot and check muzzle to make sure muzzle is not moving to one side, if so rotate the comp to compensate. Muzzle blast for the shooter, almost none. Muzzle blast for innocent bystanders, awesome!

David E.