Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Lead - Best Practices

SteelEye

a couple of FMJ's at the end of a session will go a long way toward removing gross lead fouling. However, a properly lubed load at less than light speed velocities won't IMHO leave that much lead to start with.

FWIW

dj

My advice: do NOT used jackets to clean the lead out of your revolver. I cracked the forcing cone of my father's beloved Colt 357 doing that manuever. And no, loading down your ammuntion won't make it any better on the forcing cone.

Trust me on this one.

(For anyone that thinks I'm full of it. Call Frank Glenn. He'll tell you the same thing. He knew what stupidity I committed the minute I told him the forcing cone was cracked.)

Skip the lead bullet option. Besides being a royal pain to clean, it's REALLY a health concern.

If you really have to shoot lead, get yourself a lewis lead remover tool and forget about running the odd jacketed bullet thru the barrel to clean it out. ;)

The problem with firing lead and jacketed both is that copper fouling is harder to see than lead because its so thin, and it's very rough. You look down the bore after firing jacketed, you think it's clean, then you fire lead after jacketed (without thoroughly cleaning the bore first) and you strip lead all the way down the bore. I'm not saying you can't use both, just clean the bore first with a good copper cleaner before switching to lead.