Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing a dot for...

Ron Ankeny

I did a search and I found some info for zeroing an Open blaster. I don't know if my mount is higher than normal or maybe it's the load, but the point of impact varies a lot at different yardages.

I set up the Speed Option today and shot it for the first time. As you guys know, the targets range from 8 to 35 yards. I am sighted in dead on at 10-11 yards, so I hit a bit low at 8 yards. I am about right at 15 and I can live with shooting off of the top of the dot around 20 yards. At 35 yards, I am hitting way high, like about 8 inches high.

What is the preferred range to zero for Steel Challenge? Do I just leave the sight the same as for IPSC and remember to hold with the top of the dot below center on the long targets or is there a better solution?

I like a zero about 20 yards for SC. That's about where the hardest round plates live, and with my scope, the holdover at 8-10 yards isn't a problem. In truth, much of the time I use my normal Open IPSC zero of 15 yards, but that's cause I'm too lazy to change it.

Thanks Shred. I was thinking I should zero at 18-20 but I wasn't sure if it's easier to get the human eye to hold over at close yardage or hold under at long yardage. Maybe I should just leave it the same for IPSC and SC so I don't get confused.

I have been very happy with my 25 yard zero for everything.

In the steel challenge, I would want to be dead on for the hardest targets.

I don't think scope offset is an issue with steel and a longer zero. I HATE to do any "hold" thinking while shooting (you can't shoot while you're thinking!) and with a 25 yard zero, close head shots are the only targets that require any adjustment.

SA