Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 FMJ Major Loads with Titegroup

bobcatt320

Hey Guys need a little insight here. What load do most use to get major pf out of Montana Gold 165 gr FMJ using titegroup from a 5" 2011. I have a chrony on the way, but until then just wondered what to start loading to get close. With the search button I don't find as much as I would like. I've come up with 5.1 gr titegroup with a col of 1.125. I actually loaded some at 5.1 and used a col of 1.135, 1.165, and even 1.190. They all shot fine, just not sure which I should be using for major pf. I definitely want to use the titegroup up, but after that is there any other powders that are better to use. I have some WST on hand if that would work, and N340. Also what col is the best to use for reliability. I had some 165 gr zero jhp would the load be pretty close to the fmj Montana Golds? Thanks for the help

Tightgroup is a great powder for 40 major.

Reading between the lines on your post (and if I'm wrong, please ignore my following comments) but it kinda sounds like you are trying to do load development without a crono? (IE; guessing what your load should be)

If you have a crono, you will KNOW what your load should be when you get there.

If you don't have a crono, STOP! buy one (or borrow one), THEN do your load development with it...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Agree with Rigger.

Do not do a hell of a lot of anyone laod until that Chrono is in hand.

Check the Chrono (with factory loads from your gun or a 22lr rifle) that it is working the way it should.

Then make 20 of anything you wish to test and get to it.

Once confirmed safe in your handgun make a coupleof hundred and go shoot a match and see if it all goes right.

Thanks guys, yes I had ordered a chrono before I had posted the orginal question. It actually came in last friday so I was able to test a few. It takes 5.3 gr of titegroup at a col of 1.165 for 165gr fmj to get major. It was between 1014 and 1033 fps with the handuful I tested. Is there a certain fps that I should be at with titegroup to be on the safeside as far as staying major with temp change, but yet not getting to high of pressure. Also my biggest question now is the col. I've heard anywhere from 1.125 to 1.20 Would 1.20 be to long for 165gr? Again, thanks for the help.

Good on ya for getting the crono...

Tune the length to the most reliable in your gun. 1.165-1.20 is the normal range you will see, unless its a Glock, and there the longer rounds won't fit in the mag. Longer is usually better, but you will reach a point where the reliablity goes down.

Then tune the load PF to that length. Velocities around what you are seeing are right in there, but remember to have a bit of buffer for crono variances at big matches. 170pf or so...

Then maybe do some fine tuning for accuracy...unless its good already. :)

jj

If I was going to a major match, I would chrono at least 20, and wouldn't want any to drop below 1025 fps, and would prefer them to be closer to 1050, just for a little more cushion. :surprise:

COl depends on what will work best in YOUR gun. It has to fit in the magazines, and it can't be too long that the bullet is tight against the rifling. Most of the time, longer feeds better, but, not always. If you make your COL longer, you'll drop pressure, and fps and if you shorten your loads, you'll increase pressure, and fps. :cheers:

I know that 1.20 col fed fine with 180's that I was shooting. To clarify the question a little better with 165's is 1.20 to long as far as the bullet not being seated deep enough in the case. Wasn't sure if there was a magic number of where you could have to much runout. I appreciate the info as that really helps clarify alot for me guys. I will try to test a few more and see if I can get a little closer to the 1050 mark. You guys are right without a chrono you are dead in the water. I had held out a long time as I couldn't figure out which one was reliable enough. Finally said the heck with it and bought a prochrono for the money and it seems to do every thing I needed it to.