Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local help installing Sevigny comp's...

Howdy folks!

I'm in Lexington, KY and have just ordered a set of Sevigny comps for my G34. :cheers: However I don't have a sight tool or anything, nor access to a workshop (for a vice). Is there anyone local that could help me get these installed? Or who could recommend a reliable place to have them installed at? I'd prefer not to drop it off and pay money to a local smith only to find damage to both gun & sights!

If you can just find somebody to loan you a front sight tool you only need it for about 5 minutes.

For the rear sight all you need is a hammer, a strong plastic bushing from the hardware store, some sandpaper, a towel and a concrete floor.

Lay the towel on the floor and put the plastic bushing on the sight and pound it out.

Sand the bottom of the new rear sight until it slides about a third of the way into the dovetail or so. Than lay it on the towel on the floor and put the bushing on the new sight and pound it home.

It took me less than an hour.

There is an interesting video on Dave Dawson's website, Dawsonprecision.com, for a few hints too. One note is that it appears that he doen not file the bottom of the rear sight, he files one of the sides. I am guessing so he does not change, albiet very minute, the elevation/POI.

I have done a couple Glocks with a brass punch. I did mine in a vice between wood blocks but I guess you do not have access to a vice. You could actually go buy one that would work for a lot less than a sight pusher at a pawn shop or something.

WG.

Good points. But with the sevigneys his 34 will most likely come out shooting high anyway. Also, for me I just layed a sheet of sandpaper on the work bench and rubbed the sight back and forth. This let me keep it somewhat square and prevented me from taking too much off at a time. There is more surface area to work with on the bottom as well. For a gunsmith the other way is certainly a better option. But for a guy like me with an hour to kill and a sheet of sandpaper at my disposal the project turned out perfect.

Edit to add: :)

Edited by Kevin Sanders

Good points. But with the sevigneys his 34 will most likely come out shooting high anyway. Also, for me I just layed a sheet of sandpaper on the work bench and rubbed the sight back and forth. This let me keep it somewhat square and prevented me from taking too much off at a time. There is more surface area to work with on the bottom as well. For a gunsmith the other way is certainly a better option. But for a guy like me with an hour to kill and a sheet of sandpaper at my disposal the project turned out perfect.

Edit to add: :)

Touche'..LOL. Regardless, the video is pretty good.

Spooky, there are a lot of good local Glock shooters in your area, Including new IDPA Master (I believe), Jeff Wilson, of Glocktriggers.com.

WG

A really good, small triangle file, and a lot of patience. A pass or two with the file, then try the fit to theh slide. When you can gently tap it, 1/3 to 1/2 way in the dovetail, then used a brass drift pucnch and a hammer.