Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first Steel Challenge Match

RevolverJockey

Just thought I would share my experience. My girlfriend and I shot our first steel challenge match yesterday and both of us had a blast. I ended up on a squad with 4 other people shooting rimfire revolver. If you have a 617 and have not found a steel match yet to shoot it in, you are really missing out. Below is a video of my "competition" - if I don't start practicing or giving her bad advice, she is going to keep on beating me. Her time was 130.38 and mine was 144.29. I am not sure of the normal format, but we shot 8 stages - Showdown, Accelerator, Roundabout, Smoke and Hope, Outer Limits, Speed Option, The Pendulum and 5 to Go. I think I dropped 11 shots, and saw definite room for improvement. I expected to find the revolver trigger a disadvantage, but I find the transition time adequate to prep the trigger and overall steel plates a good way to focus on what my minds eye is seeing and calling shots. Thanks again to Mike, Bob, Randy and everyone who got me started down this revolver path. It renewed my interest in shooting more than I ever could have imagined.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Mitch, If you want to beat your GF, skip the practice and go straight to cheating. :ph34r: You may have a better chance that way. She shot well. :cheers: later rdd

Oddly enough, onthe first stage I helped her load her mags and she had two failures to feed. After that she politely declined my help and had one misfire the rest of the match. I told her the revolver doesn't jam but she wants no part of wheelguns.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Nothing brings man and gun any closer, than being in the "zone" than steel challenge. Shooting a roundabout at 2 to 2,5 sec. is like becomming part of your S&W ha ha.

Speaking of the mid-west. Don't forget about the Big Dawgs Steel Shoot in SE Iowa. It's not SC, but still the ultimate steel shooting experience...and well the most rounds fired at any match in one day....or close to it! Just google the name. Hope you'll make it. Oh'e this match is centerfire only by the way.

another 617 lover.

Hello: She is doing great :cheers: Shooting steel is lots of fun and cheap to shoot. Using a dot for a new shooter works great. They can find the dot and shoot fast right away. I need to shoot my 617 in a steel match since it is really fun to shoot. Not sure if I want to put a C-More on it yet though. Thanks, Eric