Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

no sight picture allowed ? what does this mean

kidcoltoutlaw

In my area no sight pictures is interpreted as no ghost shooting or shadow shooting before you run the stages.  It will get you a stern lecture at a local match and possibly an ftdr at a major match.  This past weekend I shot a match across the state (Ohio) and it was normal for the shooters to ghost before shooting or during the walk through. However it was a rules of the day match under IDPA name. I would like to here it from someone how knows for sure.  Bill Nesbit?

LOL kidcoltoutlaw.

jhgtyre, loaded or unloaded.

charles how the hell can somebody take a sight picture without sights? Goddammit, some people need to remove the sticks from their asses.

What you call ghost shooting or shadow shooting is also known as an individual walk-through. As I understand it, individual walk-throughs aren't allowed. There is just one group "walk-through" which is really more of a talk-through, a reading of the stage briefing.

A sight picture is when you have your gun out and take aim at the targets during the load and make ready. It is not allowed in IDPA but is quite common in most other shooting sports.

Shadow or Ghost shooting is when you point your finger, magazine or something else instead of your gun. There is no rule in the green book prohibiting shadow shooting, but it is usually frowned upon as not being in the "Spirit" of IDPA. The theory is that on the street you will not have a chance to see how the light affects your sight picture until the shooting starts.

There is usually a talk through when the squad gets the stage instructions. Of course it is hard not to see things if you are helping paste targets.

Charles

Where were you shooting? You can e-mail me if you want.

Bill Nesbitt

(Edited by BILL at 2:39 pm on April 9, 2002)

The only reason this exists is that IDPA wasn't clear on "Sight Pictures". It was cleared up at the Nationals. According to Bill Wilson and Ken Hackethorn(sp.) the Sight picture was to keep people from pulling their guns out and wasting time. In IDPA you cannot handle your gun until you are instructed to do so with the "Load and Make" ready command. That is why there is a FTDR or DQ associated with the sight picture. Ghost shooting is perfectly acceptable in IDPA.

A few years ago I talked with IDPA board member John Sayle on this topic, because at at IDPA match I'd stepped up to the line on a standards exercise and pointed my arms at the first target in my stance to get my NPA. And I was told sharply, "No sight pictures." Now, my impression was always that to get a sight picture you need two things: a front sight and a rear sight. If I point my hands and arms out in front of me without a gun in my hands, that is NOT a sight picture. Now, this was back in the days of the old, thin Red Book. When I recounted this story to Sayle, he commented, "Of course that's alright. You know, when we wrote this first rule book, we wanted to keep it as short and simple as possible, and there was a lot of stuff we figured was just common sense. Well, apparently not in some cases, so when we rewrite the rule book I guess we're going to have to be more specific." And in the Green Book, it does specifically state that taking a sight picture consists of the act of pointing a loaded or unloaded gun prior to the the beginning of the stage. And people STILL freak when you do it. And if you point out it's perfectly legal by the IDPA Rule Book, they'll look at you and threaten you with an FTDR if you do it. Idiots.

Fortunately the pre-shooting stance check isn't really necessary. It's just an old habit of mine. Experienced shooters can step up to the line, visually scope the stage, and set their body up for max speed to the first draw without it.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 4:47 pm on April 24, 2002)

Bill, I was shooting at the TDI invitational.  I heard your name mentioned but did not get to meet you.  What a great match.  I had a blast.  I just don't understand the theory behind the traveling S.O.'s?  

Charles Hagman

Charles,

I was at TDI too. It was a fun match. With traveling SO's you can have a large one day match and the SO's get to shoot too. Many large matches will have the SO's shoot the day before so they can have SO's dedicated to each stage. I prefer dedicated SO's, but if I work my butt off at a match I want to shoot it too.

Flex,

I haven't seen the results either.

Bill Nesbitt