Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it legal to modify (e.g. flatten) the mag brake of a CZ 75?

Skydiver

Is it legal to modify (e.g. flatten) the mag brake of a CZ 75 so that magazines drop free?

I'm coming to the conclusion that it isn't based on the following: John Amidon's ruling that paint in the magazine well is a competitive advantage rather a cosmetic change. For this to be even a debate, that would then mean that the magwell area and anything that can be seen in the magwell is not an "internal" part.

So where before I thought I could just flatten the mag brake under D4 21.5:

Exchange of minor INTERNAL components (strikers, sears, springs, connectors/disconnectors, and other wholly-internal parts)

INTERNAL parts: This clause is NOW interpreted to mean that a broad range of INTERNAL parts may be modified or replaced – either with OEM or aftermarket parts.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Strikers, sears, springs, connectors/disconnectors, and any other part which is NOT visible when the gun is in battery is considered an INTERNAL part and may be modified or replaced unless otherwise prohibited in these provisions (see section 22 for specific prohibitions).

• Guide rods are considered an "internal part" and may be modified and/or replaced with OEM or aftermarket guide rods even though part of the guide rod is externally visible when the gun is in battery. Note that the weight limits in D4-18 remain in force and relevant.

(modified emphasis mine)

I would now have to replace the mag brake from another approved CZ model that allows magazines to drop free under D4 21.6:

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Barrels are considered "external parts" and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

• Externally-visible parts from "custom shop" guns will only be considered "OEM parts" if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

(replaced emphasis mine)

So what used to be a zero dollar modification will now be a X dollar modification.

So should I try to get Amidon to make the same ruling for mag brakes as he did for guide rods: considered to be an "internal" part ?

Or should I be snarky and take out the mag brake, flatten it, and then sell it to myself (on eBay or gunbroker) for it to become an "aftermarket" part?

Edited by Skydiver

I had to look at a parts diagram to see what a magazine break is. Will the gun work if you just remove it ? based on the picture it looks like it would. If you have to keep it in for soemother function I dont see any reason you cant adjust the spring. You are just tuning an internal spring.

Is this a Spring Ritual?

To ask for rulings on small, virtually invisible things on PD guns?

Maybe we should rename the Division "Stock Guns" if it fits the box, meets total weight, no comp, no dot, no external magwell and just get back to main task of shooting these guns at a match.

I had to look at a parts diagram to see what a magazine break is. Will the gun work if you just remove it ? based on the picture it looks like it would. If you have to keep it in for soemother function I dont see any reason you cant adjust the spring. You are just tuning an internal spring.

But it's not "internal" anymore... or is it?

The mag brake is a leaf spring. You are definitely entitled to bend a factory spring and then put it back in.

It's been so long since I modded the one on my CZ75 I don't remember whether I needed to shorten the spring any to make it fit flat, but cutting a stock spring is also OK.

I don't mean to sound snarky, so please don't take this response that way.

$10 from CZ Custom. Stainless Steel Mag Break

If you add it all up, we spend hundreds of dollars on Trigger jobs, grips, F/O Sights, hammers, Reloaders, Components, (factory ammo if you don't reload), Match Fees - Both local and Majors, what is an extra $10?

I realize you're looking for a Zero cost way, and you want to mod it yourself, but to me, the $10 was well worth it. My mags fly out of my gun, no issues. And yes, it's production legal. It's a CZ OEM part.

If you take the spring out and replace it with a flat piece of steel then tack weld it in, it will eliminate all of your problems.magbrake004.jpg

That picture looks like a Tanfoglio to me. :-)

Anyway, I suspect that welding in a new "external" piece goes well past what is allowed in Production.

I don't mean to sound snarky, so please don't take this response that way.

$10 from CZ Custom. Stainless Steel Mag Break

If you add it all up, we spend hundreds of dollars on Trigger jobs, grips, F/O Sights, hammers, Reloaders, Components, (factory ammo if you don't reload), Match Fees - Both local and Majors, what is an extra $10?

I realize you're looking for a Zero cost way, and you want to mod it yourself, but to me, the $10 was well worth it. My mags fly out of my gun, no issues. And yes, it's production legal. It's a CZ OEM part.

No problem at all.

I actually put in an order for the part the other day just to remove any question and keep my CZ Production legal... assuming fiber optic sights are still legal.

It was just a little disconcerting to me to have a modification that seemed legal (modify internal springs) has now seems to have become illegal because the magwell in now considered to be external.

Edited by Skydiver

Understood.

One other thing, on the original mag break (I have an SP01), if you took off both grip panels, the top pin had the tendency to fall out, without you knowing if you didn't pay attention. The mag break had the good manners of staying in place until you put the panels back on. But in your first match after that little adventure, the mag break will pop free the first time a mag is ejected. And in my case, damaged beyond repair when you jam the new mag in! Yes, talking from experience. I also learned that the mag break doesn't need to be in the gun to operate, but makes it a whole heck of a lot easier. Every reload after that the mag got hung up on the internals. Fun match.

Anyway, point is...the new stainless mag break seems to apply enough pressure on the top pin that when the grip panels are off, the pin will not drop out. It stays put.