Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 9mm Major Load - Zero 147 and N350

gng4life

Hello All,

I'm looking for a load consisting of Zero 147 grain JHP and VV N350. I did the search thing and found tons of 124 and 350 but that doesn't help at all. Before you ask, no I don't have 124's or any others right now and I need 147 to make major quickly. Yes, I understand that 147 may not be the best choice but looking for someone who has done it so it can cut down on my research and testing. The Vit manual says 5.0 with a 147 XTP and that gives about 1070, I need it to be up around 1150. Any help is appreciated!

FYI...shooting it out of a shorty, 4.25" barrel, 2 popple holes, 3 port Ti Comp

Okay, I was thinking N350 would be the best choice of the powders I have but maybe not. I also have N320, Power Pistol, HS-6, HS-7, WST, Blue Dot, #7. Blue Dot and #7 are so dirty, I hate shooting them. I haven't opened the HS-7 or Power Pistol but maybe those would work better than N350? Going by published data, PP is listed at 1094 and N350 is listed at 1070 - not a huge difference to start off with.

Any other ideas? I'm getting short on time, thanks for any help...

The only powder you listed with which I have any

personal experience in my STI TruBor is the

HS6, but not with 147 gr bullets - works great

with 115's and 124's, though - dirty, but works

great.

If I were in a hurry and wanted to shoot 147's,

I'd start very low with the HS6 (7.0 gr) and

work up very slowly - but someone with experience

will probably chime in with better info before

you need to work it up.

Wow talk about all the things for a perfect storm, short hybrid 147gr etc. Ok I'm curious how things turn out. My smith shot some 147gr in a 38Super Open gun and said it was very soft and flat, can't remember which powder he used but then its not 9 major, 38Super is a bit of a different animal, lot more case space.

Thanks Jack, i will put together a bunch of test rounds and try them out tomorrow. I really want to try some PP also, wish I had some suggestions for that too.

Cocobolo, I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

I'd start very low with the HS6 (7.0 gr) and

work up very slowly -

Since no one else has chimed in with personal experience,

I'd better add two other thoughts -

1. seat that bullet out as far as you can

2. check the powder level in the case and see if

seating a bullet will compress the load (if it

does, I'd back off even further on the powder).

A compressed load will be more hazardous than a

non - compressed load - and unpredictable if you've

had no experience with that load.

Be safe.

I'd sure try to get my hands on some lighter bullets

if I were you and try them instead of the 147's.

Jack

Hi Jack and all,

Against the best judgement, I did try the N350 and it bombed. I could only get up to 1050 and was starting to see some bad signs and felt like crap too. Luckily, I also loaded up some PP. At 7.1 with 147 Zero, OAL- 1.120, CCI SP, I was averaging 1130 off the bat - THAT'S MAJOR! I think I'm going up to 7.2 and try those. The load felt pretty good, little heavy but I have a very light spring also so I'm going up a lb or two on that. This is normally a Steel gun with very light loads so I need to go back to the standard spring. It was very accurate, I was knocking down 8" plates pretty easy at 25 yards.

I'll try the #7 if I have time but I really don't like it much - I use to load #5 and #7 a lot but found out they are just too dirty. That's one reason I want to stay with VV if possible. I'm going to pick up some 3N38 soon - anyone know where I can pick up some on the way to Area 6?

Thanks for all the help!

Is there a Sportsmans warehouse near you? I have bought 3N38 there before. I know there is one in Columbia, SC....

Also look into some 3N37...For that matter, N105 max load is 1108FPS with the 147, and it's a great powder.

Hello All,

I'm looking for a load consisting of Zero 147 grain JHP and VV N350. I did the search thing and found tons of 124 and 350 but that doesn't help at all. Before you ask, no I don't have 124's or any others right now and I need 147 to make major quickly. Yes, I understand that 147 may not be the best choice but looking for someone who has done it so it can cut down on my research and testing. The Vit manual says 5.0 with a 147 XTP and that gives about 1070, I need it to be up around 1150. Any help is appreciated!

Forget the 147gn. You have to seat 147gn bullet a lot deeper than a 115/121/124 Even though you might have to add a little powder, you are probably safer, pressure wise, with a lighter bullet.

If the barrel holes are the smaller ones, you should make major with a 121/124 fairly easy in 9 Major and reduce the pressure.

Hello All,

Forget the 147gn. You have to seat 147gn bullet a lot deeper than a 115/121/124 Even though you might have to add a little powder, you are probably safer, pressure wise, with a lighter bullet.

If the barrel holes are the smaller ones, you should make major with a 121/124 fairly easy in 9 Major and reduce the pressure.

He doesn't have any 124's and needs to make major with what he's got....

Thanks Grumpy - You stole my line :)

Yeah FullRace - I know what you are saying but I made a major goof up and now I don't have time to correct it so I'm kind of stuck. These are working out pretty good so far, feel decent and very accurate. I'll be able to use the remaining stock for some minor loads but I needed this like yesterday. Not too worried about pressure since I didn't see any of the normal signs and they didn't like feel like some heavy loads I've shot before. Plus I am using brand new brass so no weak areas. Chrono results look good also, SD was 11 and averaged about 168. Even with the lowest 3 speeds still gave me 163 so I'm very close to a good load.

Thanks for the help so far everyone...

Is there a Sportsmans warehouse near you? I have bought 3N38 there before. I know there is one in Columbia, SC....

Also look into some 3N37...For that matter, N105 max load is 1108FPS with the 147, and it's a great powder.

Yeah, I tried the Warehouse and they didn't have 3n37 or 3n38. They did have N105 but I read several threads on here about problems with loading it. I'm not opposed to driving up in the morning and picking that up if you know of a great load with a 147. Thanks for the advice!

Plus I am using brand new brass so no weak areas. Chrono results look good also, SD was 11 and averaged about 168. Even with the lowest 3 speeds still gave me 163 so I'm very close to a good load.

Did you ever try any HS6 with the 147 grain bullets?

Just wondering ...

Jack

I'm just getting into 9major and have 500 or 1000 or so 147 gr zero's....

I was thinking the bullet was way to long to try to make major with it as you couldn't get enough powder into the case safely and running into presure problems and exploded cases on extraction. :surprise:

Am I wrong?

Just for the record...

The load I put together pulled a 171 PF at Area 6. It was between 170-173 at home so it was right on. It is a Zero 147 JHP, 7.0 gr PP, New Win Brass, CCI SP, with a OAL of 1.111. I tried to load them out longer but my 9 Open shorty would not feed them reliably until I shorten up to this length...odd, huh? The Zero bullets have a very long ogive so loading them short makes sense. This was shot out of a 4.15" KKM barrel, 2 popple holes, 3 chamber Ti comp. It shot pretty decent but now on to some 124s coming soon. The 147 is not the preferred load but it will work in a pinch.

Thanks for all the help and advice working up this load...