Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Thumb Safety

oddjob

FWIW... Some of us have a high-grip with the support hand, which at times would cause the support hand's thumb-base push-up the safety. This would happen to me from time to time after I finish a reload. When I quickly get my support-hand up high, the base of my thumb would inadvertently push the safety up partially.

I have my right thumb On Top of the safety while firing... like a 1911/2011

You guys have your thumb under it? :surprise:

My thumb is on top.

From time to time my strong hand trigger finger knuckle bumps the safety up on the right side. It's one of the perils of having a very high grip with a very wide RHS safety.

FWIW... Some of us have a high-grip with the support hand, which at times would cause the support hand's thumb-base push-up the safety. This would happen to me from time to time after I finish a reload. When I quickly get my support-hand up high, the base of my thumb would inadvertently push the safety up partially.

Gotcha, I can see that happening.. it's never happened to me but now that you've said something about it.... you watch :roflol:

I'll take a drive over to CZ tomorrow and talk to Rob

I'm glad I found this thread. It's inconsistant in happening and my big hands probably don't help the issue. I'd like to put a much higher rate spring in, but I don't know where to look. Maybe a small spacer?

I'll have to try "the other" safety in the future.

Edited by huskerlrrp

Technically, we never use manual safeties in USPSA or IPSC Prod. Div., so, go with whatever safety is legal for the division and that you are most comfy with.

Personally, being a righty, I put my right thumb ontop of left safety while my left thumb is placed infront of slide stop on the frame. Never bumped safety up with that grip.

I like factory Shadow's safeties the way they are.

Its all about the pivot point 1911 safeties pivot in a different spot and are easier to keep down with your thumb than CZ ones. Even with my thumb deliberately on the safety, as it should be, my support hand often pushes it up. Big hands don't help. Nor does 15 years of shooting Berettas with a really really high thumbs forward grip.

With dedicated training specifically on the re learning my grip, I could probably get used to the safeties. But its far easier to just put flush ones on and ignore them.