Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM striker retaining roll pin

Red Ryder

I found Powder River's video. That looks super easy - will try soon. Now that I see that the pin is going through a long slot in the striker it appears I can indeed just drive the new one through as I drive out the old one. I don't know about the above stated needs for a pin punch to start the pin, He pushed it most of the way in with his bare fingers and finished off with a few light taps. Maybe the pins from different sources are harder.

No, the the hole in the bottom of the side is smaller in diameter than the hole in the top. It is not compressing at the top hole, just the bottom hole. The factory pins and the aftermarket ones that are not the coil design are compressed on both ends.

I found Powder River's video. That looks super easy - will try soon. Now that I see that the pin is going through a long slot in the striker it appears I can indeed just drive the new one through as I drive out the old one. I don't know about the above stated needs for a pin punch to start the pin, He pushed it most of the way in with his bare fingers and finished off with a few light taps. Maybe the pins from different sources are harder.

You only can punch it out from bottom to top. The hole is tapered so you can't punch it from the top. The pins I got from Fastenal are really tight, I needed to compress one end just to get it started

I just bought a pack of pins to be safe. I'm on my 6th XDM and still have yet to have a pin break.....lucky I guess!

Yep I've had a bunch of xd and xdm like 8 or 9 with lots of dry fire and live and still haven't broke one...

Change them with the recoil springer and never have an issue.

Same here, it's an easy preventative maintenance step. I knock out the pin and clean the striker channel and everything else in the slide assembly once in a while, and just put in a new pin afterwards. I've never actually never seen one break though.

Although I have not han a pin break on me, i had to give one of my spares to a shooting buddy. He had to switch to a glock for competition since his XDm striker pin had come out and was loose, after taking the XDm to several smiths, which fitted the wrong pin. With the correct pin he is competing again with the XDm.