Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P 9L - installing sights

TheTailor

We just added 2 new items that may help you, a hold down clamp for the P-500 universal sight tool and the UNI-200L Universal Sight Mover. I haven't used either one of these yet but I have used the P-500 on M&P's and it worked ok so I think with the addition of the hold down clamp it should work even beter. If I didn't have one and were buying a sight tool I'd go with the UNI-200L, it's less money than the P-500 and clamp and appears to be a quality product.

I used a brass punch to adjust my son's rear sight on his M&P, but you have to be a bit more careful with the night sights. I just put some Sevigny Carry sights on one of my Glocks with a vice, file, hammer and brass punch. You don't want to break the capsule that holds the gas. Dave Dawson has a good short on installing sights at home on his website.

The pusher from Speed Shooters sounds pretty nice.

WG

I used a solid vice and brass punch for my night sights. If they are too tight, I fit the sight to the dovetail. They tap in snug, but not impossible to move. I go by sound. Once the tap goes from a thud to a ping, stop. Too tight. I've tried pushers but don't really like them.

• 2 weeks later...

My 9L had way different tolerances between the front and rear dovetail. When I first got it I ordered a Dawson front and adjustable rear. I did the front first and everything went in like butter.

Awesome...now let's get the rear in there and go shooting.

Nope.

I couldn't get the thing close by filing, so I finally sent the slide in and had Dawson do it. They said mine had one of the tightest dovetails they had seen. I imagine the factory tolerances are loose to begin with both high and low, and Dawson has to make their sights on the high side of that to make sure everything will fit (can't add material), albeit with more fitting work.

We just added 2 new items that may help you, a hold down clamp for the P-500 universal sight tool and the UNI-200L Universal Sight Mover. I haven't used either one of these yet but I have used the P-500 on M&P's and it worked ok so I think with the addition of the hold down clamp it should work even beter. If I didn't have one and were buying a sight tool I'd go with the UNI-200L, it's less money than the P-500 and clamp and appears to be a quality product.

After looking at the UNI-200L, it doesn't appear that it will work on the M&P slide without a little modification.