Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting started loading! check my lists and need help?

Hey all,

Even though I've been shooting competitively for about 4-5 years, I am just getting started reloading. I know, I know, but I justified that I could spring for factory ammo because I work a lot. Well, I decided to start shooting SS and L10 exclusively this year, and $33/100 for ammo putting out like 190 PF is getting expensive. Also, it's hard on the wrist, and I'm waiting for the sights to settle for almost ever.

Also, If i can work up a minor load, I can shoot my les baer in steel shoots, making it my one gun to do everything with (probably?) just a spring change.

So I have been reading everything, watching everything, and talking to everybody I can about how to set up, and now have a few specific questions....

Decided to go with a Hornady LnL press, as they seem to run nice, and a buddy and local open shooter/legend has offered to help me set it up and dial it in.

Need to find that press, cabelas was out... calling midway today. I only plan on loading 45 Major, 45 minor, and 9mm powder puff loads for the GF and for local fun shoots, 3 gun matches... maybe 223 or more in the future, so I'd like to be able to expand.

in addition to the press, i will need a shell plate, dies for each caliber, and anything else? I picked up a digital scale and caliper for checks, so I think I'm about there.

For Brass... I can get once fired range brass, but it's all in a giant bucket. They would let me sort it and keep 45 and 9mm. Is there a way to sort at the range faster than by hand? Because that sucks.

I have a cabelas tumbler, media (corn cob), and polish. Actually, running right now to polish the first pile of 45.

Powder, primer, and bullets... I plan on looking around in the forum here for the most cost effective loads for the above. But how do I know which primers to get? Or are Large pistol primers the same if they are CCI (number 150?) or remington (number 300s or something). as long as they are large pistol, am I ok?

I plan on working up loads slowly and in accordance with the recipes here and elsewhere. Just wondering how I figure out what recoil springs to use for each one, so I can order them a head of time and be ready to shoot.

Anything else I'm missing or really need to get started?

thanks all,

steve

Hey all,

Decided to go with a Hornady LnL press, I only plan on loading 45 Major, 45 minor, and 9mm powder puff loads for the GF and for local fun shoots, 3 gun matches... maybe 223 or more in the future, so I'd like to be able to expand.

in addition to the press, i will need a shell plate, dies for each caliber, and anything else? I picked up a digital scale and caliper for checks, so I think I'm about there.

For Brass... I can get once fired range brass, I have a cabelas tumbler, media (corn cob), and polish. Actually, running right now to polish the first pile of 45.

Powder, primer, and bullets... I plan on looking around in the forum here for the most cost effective loads for the above. But how do I know which primers to get? Or are Large pistol primers the same if they are CCI (number 150?) or remington (number 300s or something). as long as they are large pistol, am I ok?

I plan on working up loads slowly and in accordance with the recipes here and elsewhere. Just wondering how I figure out what recoil springs to use for each one, so I can order them a head of time and be ready to shoot.

Anything else I'm missing or really need to get started?

thanks all,

steve

Good start - someone else just asked the exact same question a week or

two ago - if you can find that thread, you'll have it all.

Large Pistol primers are all the same, despite the numbers/brands.

I suggest (My personal preference) is non-digital scale/calipers - less

to go wrong. You'll need a screen/strainer to drop the tumbled brass into.

And a primer flipper/primer tubes.

Good luck and have fun with it.

check the forums for an lnl. there was 2 on there at a decent price with dies and case feeders. they may still be available. my loads that i use in singlestack are 200gr lswc 4.3gr clays cci lpp 1.15 oal. i let a 9 year old shoot that load and it makes major but feels soft. i use a 14# recoil spring with that load. in 9mm 125 gr lrn 4gr 231 cci spp cant remember oal ( what ever my winchester book called for) its a great minor load.

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets of your choice, 4 lb jug of Titegroup, 5000 pistol primers.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

5. Powder check die or Dillon powder check system.

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

6. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.com.

7. Case gauge for your caliber.

8. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media.

9 "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

10. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

11. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

12. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

13. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

16. The correct shell plate if it doesn't come with your press.

17. Primer pick up tubes, 2 each size

18. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

19. A reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

20. A second job to afford all the above.

That should set you up!

Great list! I was reading that one while researching... I already have the room and 5 jobs (seriously) so I think I have 19-20 covered...

Working on the press and whatnot. Where do I get the primer flippers?

Dillon primer flip tray is from Dillon precision. You can find primer flip trays much cheaper, but the Dillon one is heavy metal and is the best. IMHO.

An inexpensive RCBS primer flip tray works just fine for me, although I'm sure the Dillon one is nice. I did go with a Dillon eliminator scale and Dillon primer pick up tubes though. The scale is the absolute best bang for the buck and the tubes work MUCH easier than the Hornady tubes to pick up primers because the tip is softer. Don't forget a quality set of check weights for your scale.

Another thing I didn't see anyone mention is extra die bushings for each die set you plan to use with the LNL. When you order the press get a couple cans of the Hornady One shot cleaner dry lube and a can or two of one shot case lube. Also a large, cheap plastic funnel from the auto parts store will come in handy for filling your powder hopper.

Damn, just put in a midway order and forgot the primer flip tray and the lighter recoil springs... Oh well. So I did order the LnL used from the forum, and it's coming with dies, bushing wheel, and a CASE FEEDER!

hahah, time to get the goodies to feed the red monster