Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BRASS--.38 SPECIAL

minnesota1

I usually always shoot starline brass. They are +P so i use them a lot for pin shoots. I recently bought some R-P for steel shoots so I would not have to wear out my pin brass. I had a heck of a time getting them into my moonclips. Most of my clips are from TK Custom, Brownells, and HearthCo. I never had a problem with the starline but they are not always the tightest fitting. I know winchester ruins the clips so I was wondering what everyone is using and why?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Doug is right about which brass works. But there may be another problem. Some of the new moonclips are .025 thick. They work ok BUT you have to make sure the cartridges will spin when inserted in the moonclip. Some of the R&P and Federal brass is a little tight on the .025 thick moonclips. You should check what thickness you moonclips are. If you continue to have problems you may want to get the .022 thick moonlcips from TK Custom.

Bob

Just to echo the preceding posts. I was just thinking of your questions yesterday as I was practi///err testing my moonclips and brass. The Federal and R-P Brass work in the .22 thick moon clips. I had to separate my moons for I have the two different thickness, .22 and .25. I was contemplating getting new brass and going to starline because my .25 thickness clips have not been used and my .22 are getting a little worn out. So to say I'm in same quandry. But it is better to keep all the same moonclips and brass consistancy counts. :(

If you are using my clips (.025), the RP and Fed brass should work just fine unless you have an unusually out of spec lot of brass. Starline shortcolt will be loose(I make clips just for shortcolt) and regular Starline 38 Spec will be loose also. Never force WW brass into my clips or you might need to buy more clips. NOOOOOOO!!!!! Dave