Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can't keep rifle steady

redneck1861

Hey everyone, I am very new to shooting competition. I have only shot 1 pistol match so far. I am going to shoot a rifle only match on Sunday, but I have a problem. I went out today at my private range to practice with a cheap scope I had laying around, and I cant keep it steady. I can get all of my shots on target, but can't make pin point shots on target. I would hit about 2 inch's off in any direction. This is basically an off the shelf DPMS flat top, with a rail system and VFG. I am wanting to start 3-gun soon, but want to shoot a few match's with the 3 guns individually first.

So my question is, how important is it to hit the exact place you are aiming for? I know if its just a 8" plate it does not matter where you hit it. Is there any advice you can give me to help me keep it steady? I know at the match I am shooting this weekend there will be a few clays to shoot.

The problem is standing with no support. I can do fine prone, or with something to prop my rifle against..

Thanks for the help..

Justin

There is no substitute for practice, both live and dry fire. Most rifle shots in 3 gun are off hand. If you can't afford much .223 ammo, get a .22 conversion and get used to shooting off hand. Don't expect to win the match when you are green, but always try to do better. You want to get where you can shoot the "upper A B panel" at 50 yards. I put a 6" R&R self setter at 100 yards to work on off hand shots. Not too many born champions, it takes work.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

First take that VFG off and stick your support hand out to the end of the handguard.

You won't have to shoot anything but body size targets offhand at the match your going to. Know where your rifle hitsxat 50 and 100 with support.

Edited by jtischauser

Another little thing that may help you and you'll learn as you get more experience not matter how big a target is, it still has a small exact center and that is what you are striving to hit. Then if you miss that perfect shot you have the rest of the plate/target to miss onto.

Like others have said, nothing beats quality practice. Standing shooting is one thing that you can do in your house with an empty (repeat EMPTY) gun practicing aiming at a fly or lil spot on the wall or out the back window at something and squeezing a shot off and see if it's still on target when it goes click.

Topstrap

First take that VFG off and stick your support hand out to the end of the handguard.

You won't have to shoot anything but body size targets offhand at the match your going to. Know where your rifle hitsxat 50 and 100 with support.

Well Jesse you know what happened to my weak hand, and because of that I can hold a rifle like most people do. I have to keep the VFG to be able to shoot it with any speed and accuracy

Crap sorry bro I forgot about your bad hand. Is your wrist motion limited or is it that you just cant get a firm grip on the handguard?

I guess its just how my rifle is set up, I have a quad rail that is short and it just doesn't feel right holding like you said. If I had a longer handgard it would probably be better. I'll take the VFG off tomorow and run a couple hundred rounds through it and see how it is

If the rifle has a mil-std trigger, a better trigger would help as well. And lots of practice...

If the VG is a standard type broom handle VG I would normally totally agree with Jessy on "Take it off". But hearing you have a physical limitation I might suggest trying the Magpul VG. It is angled and falls in between a conventional VG and using the forearm. I much prefer it (to a conventional VG) as it is more naturall in how your hand is positioned. I still do not use one for competition though.

If the rifle has a mil-std trigger, a better trigger would help as well. And lots of practice...

If the VG is a standard type broom handle VG I would normally totally agree with Jessy on "Take it off". But hearing you have a physical limitation I might suggest trying the Magpul VG. It is angled and falls in between a conventional VG and using the forearm. I much prefer it (to a conventional VG) as it is more naturall in how your hand is positioned. I still do not use one for competition though.

I thought about the magpul AFG, but just have not had the chance to try it out yet. about 7 months ago, I had a ND and ended up shooting myself in the hand. So I dont have much use in it

Be carefull taking advice from Jesse, he's been known to ride around shooting a match from some sort of scooter contraption. You just can't trust people like that... :roflol:

That scooter shooting was pretty funny. But the funniest thing is what he did to break his leg

Be carefull taking advice from Jesse, he's been known to ride around shooting a match from some sort of scooter contraption. You just can't trust people like that... :roflol:

That scooter shooting was pretty funny. But the funniest thing is what he did to break his leg

What so funny about saving a baby from a burning building? J/K

Edited by jtischauser

If you can shoot switch I would try. With out knowing what exactly is going on I'll offer this advice. My right hand/arm is paralyzed and I pretty much shot rifles left handed from the bench. Starting idpa and rifle I started shooting right handed. I can squeez a trigger with the right hand but can't support the gun with it. I wish I had switched 10 years ago. Maybe using your strong arm to support the gun and "other" hand to pull a light trigger will help out.

If you can shoot switch I would try. With out knowing what exactly is going on I'll offer this advice. My right hand/arm is paralyzed and I pretty much shot rifles left handed from the bench. Starting idpa and rifle I started shooting right handed. I can squeez a trigger with the right hand but can't support the gun with it. I wish I had switched 10 years ago. Maybe using your strong arm to support the gun and "other" hand to pull a light trigger will help out.

I will give it a try, yesterday I practiced shooting with my weak hand only using my G35, I can do it but it is alot harder with the G35 then it is with my G22

Hey everyone, I am very new to shooting competition. I have only shot 1 pistol match so far. I am going to shoot a rifle only match on Sunday, but I have a problem. I went out today at my private range to practice with a cheap scope I had laying around, and I cant keep it steady. I can get all of my shots on target, but can't make pin point shots on target. I would hit about 2 inch's off in any direction. This is basically an off the shelf DPMS flat top, with a rail system and VFG. I am wanting to start 3-gun soon, but want to shoot a few match's with the 3 guns individually first.

So my question is, how important is it to hit the exact place you are aiming for? I know if its just a 8" plate it does not matter where you hit it. Is there any advice you can give me to help me keep it steady? I know at the match I am shooting this weekend there will be a few clays to shoot.

The problem is standing with no support. I can do fine prone, or with something to prop my rifle against..

Thanks for the help..

Justin

Like the others have said practice. The last match I was at last week end one of the stages had us shooting 6 inch steel plates at 100 yards with hostages behind the plates. Not that hard but a lot of people missed and hit the hostages killing their score. I managed to get 2nd place at that match. Also learn something from me practice on your weak areas more than your strengths. I learned I sucked at weak side rifle shooting after last years Larue match. At first I whined about it and made excuses and then I decided to correct the problem and I have been shooting week side every time I go to the range. Not its not as hard as it used to be. As others have said get a 22 upper, or conversion or just a good 22 rifle that mimics your 3 gun rifle. I shoot a lot of .22 shells with my Spikes Ar and it has helped.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Well I shot the rifle match yesterday, I had alot of fun even though I placed dead last. It was my first match that I have shot a rifle. On the short range stages I didn't do too bad, I was able to hit what I wanted to. had a few mikes and no shoots, but I think that is because of the crappy scope that I was using. it was some old 4-32x tapco. The long rang stage only went out to 100yrds but my scope was not sighted in very well, so I was only able to hit the paper, and the larger steel. I am gonna order a 1-4x soon to see if it helps me