Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady’s solution to my priming issues.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have lucked out for a rare change. I'm only loading ~1k a month on my LNL. To date I've run winchester, federal, cci, tula SPP. I can't afford new brass so all my stuff is from the range.

The only time my priming system fouls up is when crap gets down in around the plunger/shoe area. If it does go to acting up it looks like I will have plenty of resources to pull from.

I must have lucked out for a rare change. I'm only loading ~1k a month on my LNL. To date I've run winchester, federal, cci, tula SPP. I can't afford new brass so all my stuff is from the range.

The only time my priming system fouls up is when crap gets down in around the plunger/shoe area. If it does go to acting up it looks like I will have plenty of resources to pull from.

I'll help anyway I can.

I know first-hand how frustrating it can be. I don't mind working to fix problems. I do mind Hornady treating me like I am too ignorant to use their press, and people that want to say "I don't have any problems with mine." when I am looking for solutions.

There are many good people on this forum that have been a lot of help to me, and I am sure they are more than willing to help anyone that asks.

I still do not have everything working right on my LNL AP. I am going to polish everything that moves and make whatever modifications that I need to get it to run. I asked one of the hornady techs about an idea I had for modifying the primer punch assy. He said if I modified anything it would void my warranty. I told him the warranty is worthless since the press does not work, and they were un-willing to help. I can't get a straight answer on where their equipment is actually manufactured. I'm guessing somewhere in asia. The only other reloading equipment that is this pooer in quality (that I have personal experience with) is Lee. Both Lee and Hornady have some brilliant ideas, they just execute them poorly. At least Lee doesn't charge full market price. Don't get me wrong; Lee makes some real good stuff, i.e. the factory crimp dies, the classic cast press, the classic turret press, the auto-prime (hand-held priming device), and yes, the breech-lock system. It is a cheaper way compared to Hornady's LNL bushing system, but it won't back-out. Now Lee is offering this system on their classic cast press. I wish they would offer it on thsie classic turret. Hornady makes stuff I like. Their Concentricity Tool is great. I like their cam-lock bullet puller, stuck case remover, OAL gauge kit, case prep center (even though it is quite pricey), and their LNL powder measure (it is quite accurate, but be careful it has sharp edges in it). I like some of Hornady's bullets as well. I just wish Hornady's quality was as good as it was 20 years ago. I also wish they were not so short, rude and condecending on the phone. Not all of them are like that, but it only take one, or two to make you take your business elsewhere.

Gotcha, got me one a them. I use pliers to tighten the knurled thumb wheel that attaches the CAPD to the base of the powder die, or it works loose.

The screws used in every joint of the linkage have come loose on mine. I keep a bottle of locktite on the bench now. I'll have ot inquire about the shim to keep the powder die bushing from rotating out.

I'll help anyway I can.

I know first-hand how frustrating it can be. I don't mind working to fix problems. I do mind Hornady treating me like I am too ignorant to use their press, and people that want to say "I don't have any problems with mine." when I am looking for solutions.

There are many good people on this forum that have been a lot of help to me, and I am sure they are more than willing to help anyone that asks.

I still do not have everything working right on my LNL AP. I am going to polish everything that moves and make whatever modifications that I need to get it to run. I asked one of the hornady techs about an idea I had for modifying the primer punch assy. He said if I modified anything it would void my warranty.

They were extremely helpful with me even though I had modified some parts in a effort to get it to work. Just keep your calm with them and work your way up the ladder.

I got tired of working on the press. I eventually got a new frame (custom tuned linkage, etc from the factory). It still didn't work right. Hornady offered a brand new press. I told them "great, Hold it for a week and I will just let you ship it to the new owner". They gave me my money back. ALL OF IT. Very nice about it. I would work your way up the ladder. Get a new press and sell it. Get a 650. Many people have great luck with the LnL so the resale is not horrible.

Had the same problem initially. I even broke alot of the parts (Metal wire that helps guide the primer) somehow. Called up Hornady and within 2 days, it was in my door step. I did take an advice here using a used primer and using strong glue, attached it to the end of the primer punch. Now my press sings. Gonna hold off on the case feeder for now with all the other problems being experienced but so far, loaded 2k of bullets in first month with no hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll help anyway I can.

I still do not have everything working right on my LNL AP. I am going to polish everything that moves and make whatever modifications that I need to get it to run. I asked one of the hornady techs about an idea I had for modifying the primer punch assy. He said if I modified anything it would void my warranty. I told him the warranty is worthless since the press does not work, and they were un-willing to help. I can't get a straight answer on where their equipment is actually manufactured. I'm guessing somewhere in asia. The only other reloading equipment that is this pooer in quality (that I have personal experience with) is Lee. Both Lee and Hornady have some brilliant ideas, they just execute them poorly. At least Lee doesn't charge full market price. Don't get me wrong; Lee makes some real good stuff, i.e. the factory crimp dies, the classic cast press, the classic turret press, the auto-prime (hand-held priming device), and yes, the breech-lock system. It is a cheaper way compared to Hornady's LNL bushing system, but it won't back-out. Now Lee is offering this system on their classic cast press. I wish they would offer it on thsie classic turret. Hornady makes stuff I like. Their Concentricity Tool is great. I like their cam-lock bullet puller, stuck case remover, OAL gauge kit, case prep center (even though it is quite pricey), and their LNL powder measure (it is quite accurate, but be careful it has sharp edges in it). I like some of Hornady's bullets as well. I just wish Hornady's quality was as good as it was 20 years ago. I also wish they were not so short, rude and condecending on the phone. Not all of them are like that, but it only take one, or two to make you take your business elsewhere.

I do not own a Hornady press , but you all have my sympathy & I hope you all get these problems fixed .

I have the Lee cast iron turret press . No need for the LNL or " Breech Lock " . For what the inserts cost , I simply buy another turret . It is one of the best values in presses going .

Best of luck .

God bless

Wyr

Edited by WyrTwister

Most of my priming issues have been solved by switching to Federal primers, and using the primer cup on the bottom of the ram.

Still have issues with Wolf and to a much much lesser extent, CCI failing to ignite 100%.

I've only had two problems with mine, and only one was the press. My first problem was the spent primers were not dropping free, jamming the press when I tried to index it. After trying everything I could think of, I finally realized that they were sticking on the decapping pin and pulling back into the case on the downstroke. I chucked it up in a drill and put a slight taper on it and rounded the corners slightly. That never happened again. Then, I noticed that sometimes the shellplate would not index quite far enough on the down stroke, causing me to miss seating the primer if I wasn't paying attention. I thought I would need a new spider gear because after checking things out, it happened every fifth stroke, but after calling hornady, the tech said that it can usually be adjusted out with the pauls, and advised me to try that and call back if needed. I was skeptical, but tried it anyway and it works great. My press seats the primers just slightly below flush, every time. It does not take an excessive amount of force to seat them. If it does, something is wrong, even if they go in all the way. All I have used are winchester primers in mixed 9mm and .45acp brass. I did learn that the timing adjustment is easier than I thought if you know what to listen for. When you are adjusting it, move the handle very slowly and listen to the clicks as it indexes. If you hear two clicks on the up or down stroke, your timing is off. Adjust the timing until the clicks run together as one, and the press should run smooth. If you can't get it like that, you probably have a bad spider gear or pauls. I hope this helps someone, and know it's not going to fix all the issues on the thread, but I just wanted to relay what I had issues with and the fixes that worked for me.