Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.8SPC Upper

Zak Smith

What's the scoop on mags? Can USGI mags be re-worked, or does everyone just have to wait until Sept. 14 to buy new mags?

Replacement mag bodies was the word I heard. 28 rounds.

Cool. I really think this is one of damned few rifle cartridges to come down the pike in decades that actually solves a real problem. I hope it lives up to its billing.

RS,

A buddy of TMC and me has one of their uppers and it ran well at a little 3-gun match we had here a couple of weeks ago. I've got a few extra AR parts laying around, so I might just take them and build a new upper after ordering a new bolt and barrel and have a friend put it together.

On Mags - It appears that MSTN will be the distributor for the PRI mags. Just what I heard.

I'm seriously thinking building another upper, but want to kind of hold off and see if the military adopts it, as that will be a huge deciding factor or making components (and more importantly load data) available.

It'd still be cool though to have and work on though.

Rich

From what I could find the 115 grain SPC's are suppose to be clocking at:

2800 fps with a 24" barrel = 322PF (figure from Remington)

2650 fps with a 16.5" = 304PF (figure from Barrett)

2782 is the threshold for 320 PF with 115's.

That Remington figure is probably from a fixture. Gas guns would probably need more barrel length to get that velocity. I can just imagine running around an assault course with a 24"+ barreled AR with a 2-3 inch comp. :D

Did your friend chrono his gun? I take it it is a 20"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a bunch of new reload data. H335 and RL10X seem to be the best choices for the 110gr VMAX. With some help from Marty wer Teeme (Teppu Jutsu / 458SOCOM inventor) on the internal ballistics modelling, it looks like these will hit 55000psi at about 2630fps (289PF).

I haven't done a lot of work developing a 115gr load because the bullets I have are all pull down and no new ones are available. With 115's, we need 2783fps for Major.

People with access to NDA and noncommercial powders are having more success with pushing the 115's to Major... but that's all I know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

My load data here: http://www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/loads.php

I have new information from the NDA-powder guy. From an 18" barrel, it will make 2820fps with the 115's, that's 324 PF, with a trajectory flatter than Black Hills 75gr in a 20" .223.

We don't have access to that powder yet.

Wow this thread died a long time ago so my assumption is no real users in this arena. I just received my Barrett Upper in Rec 7 shipped from the clearance run. Guess I will have to wing it and post what i find out.