Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aftec installation

Mat Price

ok my aftec went in no trimming on the firing pin stop. loaded up a bunch of different types of dummy rounds and has not fTE yet.HOWEVER it does poke out the back of the slide a bit and does not fit flush like my STI extractor did? whats the deal?

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Edited by Mat Price

I just got an AFTEC installed in my gun today too and it looks exactly the same as yours.

Mine was a PITA to set-up to feed correctly, my gunsmith and I went back-and-forth 4 times test shooting/fitting trying to solve feeding issues, finally had to take more than a coil off of the spring closest to the breech face as it had way too much tension... He did the install with me right there and followed the directions to the letter, but it took much more tuning than expressed in the directions to get it to run right, we ended up being very generous with the tolerances and radius-cut to the firing pin stop and it still took clipping down that first spring and some tuning to the exractor claw for it to seem like it's working as it should.

Honestly, I don't have complete confidence in it yet but decided to have it put in now rather than wait for my stock extractor to bite me during a match.

If there's anyone who'd like to share specific instructions on their successful way of doing the install I'd love to hear 'em as my install didn't go easy at all and I'd like to hear the details in case there was something we missed or didn't get..?

To the OP, mine dropped in fine first try and cycled dummy rounds no problem too, but feeding real rounds during test firing was a whole other story, make sure you test it before you go heading out to a match or something.

Edited by ck1

I am running my open gun and limited gun both with just the rear spring. Both springs gave me some issues and had way to much tension. Talked with Derek and he suggested running one spring.....problem solved. Feeds perfectly, extracts perfectly.

after doing some testing I found i need less tension also. I was having some feeding issues with my 175 grain SWC. so I went with just one rear spring and that cleared it up. will live fire it tomorrow and see how it works.

Ck1 I test fired mine today and I had to remove the front spring for it to go 100% but now it runs like a raped ape! And the brass hits the same spit everytime.

Strangest thing... cleaned my gun up a little and re-lubed it to go shooting today as yesterday while test firing it was dirty and pretty dry. I was hand cycling some snap-caps through it and it just didn't seem right, so I took it apart and noticed the tension holding a cartridge on the breech face was weak as hell (using the stripped slide and a snap-cap), just a gentle shake and the cartridge would fly away. So, pulled the AFTEC, got rid of the front clipped-spring from the gunsmith install/fitting and put in 2 unaltered springs and then reinstalled it. Immediately I noticed felt much more "normal" in hand cycling, and the claw would hold a cartridge against the face with plenty of tension but not too much. Went to the range and burned through 200rds without any issues whatsoever and it threw all the brass in a neat little pile about 4ft to my right. Starting to think my issues had more to do with my gunsmith being unfamiliar with installing an AFTEC as I noticed him fighting a bit to get it installed and I had no trouble, if he had the springs binding in the extractor channel that'd explain a lot. Runs like a champ now.

Cool man what may have been is you had chunks of crud behind the claw in the channel also. that would put mire tension on it also. I wanted mine dirty SSS heck when I run it. If will do it dirty it should run clean is my theroy