Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long does an idpa classifier typically take?

BaiFJ

We're trying to organize an IDPA classifier/qualifier for our local club here. I would like to know the average time would take to complete a classifier be completed per person. This includes taping and scoring.

I'd like to know this that way we can schedule range time for 5 people to run in the classifier.

I'm estimating about 20 mins per person tops. Is that a good estimate?

When you ran your classifier, how much time did it take for you to complete the course?

The biggest thing we run across is how experienced the shooters are? Have they shot a classifier in the past. Do they have enough magazines loaded or do they need to reload between strings. It also helps if the R.O. is familiar with the courses of fire. One of our members made a score sheet with the course of fire on the same page as the sheet you write down the time on. If you want a copy, P.M me and I'll e-mail it to you. It helps out alot.

20 minutes per shooter should be plenty of time.

The biggest thing we run across is how experienced the shooters are? Have they shot a classifier in the past. Do they have enough magazines loaded or do they need to reload between strings. It also helps if the R.O. is familiar with the courses of fire. One of our members made a score sheet with the course of fire on the same page as the sheet you write down the time on. If you want a copy, P.M me and I'll e-mail it to you. It helps out alot.

20 minutes per shooter should be plenty of time.

I'd like to say that all shooters are experienced. All shooters shoot regularly at the local match. We've just never ran a classifier. We all at least have three magazines. By all means, we are not experts but at least decent shooters.

If the score sheet is the same as the classifier sheet, I would love to have it.

In the mean time, I also made a score sheet for our local matches that is good for 12 stages. I attached it on this post. Use it if you like it. You put the names on the first sheet, and the names of the shooter would be copied over to their respective sheets.

idpa scoring sheet (V3).zip

I have run a lot of classifiers, and it always seems to average out to just about 20 minutes per person in a mixed skill level enviroment. If I am running people who are VERY familiar with the courses of fire, and are experienced, it is probably closer to 15 minutes; however, that is the exception rather than the rule.

I have run a lot of classifiers, and it always seems to average out to just about 20 minutes per person in a mixed skill level enviroment. If I am running people who are VERY familiar with the courses of fire, and are experienced, it is probably closer to 15 minutes; however, that is the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the input. I suppose I can request to block 2 hours at the range for having 5 people in the qualifiers. That would include setup and takedown.

We used to do 4 an hour without much problem. Make extra target arrays. Pull and replace them. Take them behind the line and score/tape them while the next shooter is being run. It helps. We ran all 4 through stage 1. Then all 4 through stage 2.Then all 4 through stage 3. Keeps you with pasting help.

Bring extra Glock 17,22 and .45 1911 magazines if you have them. Mark them and lend them to shooters. That will speed things up quite a bit. Tell revolver shooters to save the speedloaders for the stages requiring a reload. Have them load with loose rounds. A coffee can works great for the loose rounds.

Sit a barrel or table near the stage 1 firing point. have the shooters put their extra ammunition there. It saves time. Don't forget to move the barrel for stage 2.

My friend has over 20 magazines for a sig 220. Using 3 sets of targets and having people pull and score them while we were shooting, we did the whole classifier in under 5 minutes. Not something I would do all the time, but we were trying to see how fast we could do it.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy