Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA 1911 Loaded Target 9mm

The_Vigilante

And even then, the mainspring has more effect than the recoil spring anyway.

No, it doesn't.

Edit to add: I can take a gun that runs, and make it stop extracting/ejecting by going up only 2-3lbs in recoil spring weight. Take that same gun and go from a 17lb mainspring, all the way up to like 22lbs, and the gun will still run.

How do I know this? I've tried it (more than once, more than one gun)...

Edited by G-ManBart

With the taper of the 9mm brass they tend to stack with the nose wanting to point downwards. That 10th round can be a pain.

I agree and it will get worse when doing a slide lock reload. When you slam the mag in, the bullets will want to point down because of the force being applied to the bottom of the mag and nothing hitting the top of the mag to correct the way they sit.

Edited by Victor R

Vigilante,

My expereince with the SA Loaded 1911 Target in was entirelydifferent. My gun would function reliably with round nose or JHP but I could not get any better grouops than 4+ inches at 50 ft - that was after two trips to the factory I finally sold the SA and re[placed it with aDan Wesson PM-9 which is equally reliable but provides nice tight one inch ten shot groups at 50 ft.

My Springfield 9mm hasn't been out in a while but it runs my 124gr MG hollow point bullets with no problems. I have had good luck with the Wilson ETM mags too. I don't load my 9mm very long on account of my Glockness. 1.125 or so.

Back when I first got it I ran a few thousand rounds through it and decided to replace the recoil spring. I did some quick searching and saw listed somewhere that Colt used a 14lb spring in their 9mm guns. I figured that was what I needed so I ordered one up and tossed it in the gun. Of course I made some other changes too and wouldn't you know it the gun started choking. Much grumbling and fumbling later I went back to the old recoil spring and all my problems went away. Turns out Springfield puts a 9lb spring in their guns. Damn internet, or damn me for not doing better research.

Nah, I'm blaming the internet!

I must have been really lucky. My SA Loaded 9mm has been perfect almost from day 1. It choked a few times when new, but I polished the feed ramp on the stock barrel and it was great. I have slowly converted it to an AP Open gun with comp, shroud etc, and its still perfect. I use JHP Montana Golds loaded to 1.125. My gun was a bit sensitive when i first put the new Kart barrel and comp on it, but as it broke in, and I got the springs tuned right, it runs flawlessly. I can shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yards.

Metalform 9 round mags. I think they are the key. I ordered 10 of them with the loaded coupon that came with the gun. I didnt have to rework the lips. Took em out of the bag, washed them and put them in. They have a rib formed into the mag, so the shorter 9mm rounds cant move around in the mag for and aft.

Im running an 8 or 9 lb recoil spring, I think its a 9 at the moment, and a 17 lb main spring. Ive run it with as light as 7 lbs and it fed fine, but you could feel the slide hit the frame on recoil, so I upped the spring enough to keep it from beating itself up. The main spring did have an effect on my gun. It wouldnt run right with the comp etc with anything higher. I tried a 15, but got light primer strikes. I think now that its broken in it would be fine with a 19, but its perfect as is.

Polish the feed ramp. I cycled the gun slowly by hand so I could watch how the bullet fed, and made sure there were no edges for it to hang on. Make sure the mag doesnt hit anything, and make sure the lips are "timed" right.

I would like to revisit this topic I started back on March 21st. According to Springfield the 9mm Loaded Target model comes with a 9-lb recoil spring and a 23-lb main (hammer) spring. So I was running a 9-lb recoil spring when I was having the problems I originally described. It was only when I went to the 12-lb recoil spring did the problems disappear. Seems like this is the reverse of what is normally recommended. Any recommendations for lowering the main spring or leave it like it is? So many variables on this 1911 I don't know where to start to get it running like it's supposed to!

I would like to revisit this topic I started back on March 21st. According to Springfield the 9mm Loaded Target model comes with a 9-lb recoil spring and a 23-lb main (hammer) spring. So I was running a 9-lb recoil spring when I was having the problems I originally described. It was only when I went to the 12-lb recoil spring did the problems disappear. Seems like this is the reverse of what is normally recommended. Any recommendations for lowering the main spring or leave it like it is? So many variables on this 1911 I don't know where to start to get it running like it's supposed to!

That's the problem with free advice...it's often worth what you pay for it. Heavier recoil springs make 1911s feed more reliably (within reason). I've had a couple of top gunsmiths tell me that for general use, a 19lb mainspring is an excellent choice...no real need to go lighter or heavier. R,

My Springfield stainless 9mm target runs fine on 115 gr. FMJ reloads or factory ammo. The only thing I had done to my pistol is a trigger job 3#'s, pair of G-10 Slim Grips, green fiber optic front sight, and bead blasted to matte. I've never had a malfunction of any kind in 5,500+ rounds. Everything else is just a way it came from the factory. I use the 9 round shooting star mags and the 10 round Tripp Cobra mags without a problem. On the Tripp mags you need to load them & let them sit for a few days to set the mag springs. Cobra mags are stiff when first used. Take them to the range and shoot 5 mag loads out of each mag to break them in. Also number your mags so if you have problems with a particular mag you will know which one. Shoot the ammo that works best in your particular gun. Suggest you try 115 grain FMJ and see how they work with your Tripp mags. Truncated nose bullets can give you feeding problem,stick with FMJ round nose, and I think your problems will disappear.