Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA instructor course, how hard is it and whats on the test?

Anyone that took the course and got certified feel free to share whats on the test and what is the shooting requirements? I like to be prepared. I have the NRA guide to basic pistol shooting book from when I was basic certified. What else should I be looking at. I will be taking the class this Thursday and Friday and just got a call about a spot being available to me.

I've only taken the pistol instructor's certification course; it is pretty boring. It does cover a broad array surrounding the various types of pistols a potential student might bring to a course you would be teaching. In the certification course you will demonstrate your ability to speak to a group and your ability to regurgitate the course content. I am definitely not going to go into the training business, but the certification course might have been a help to me in helping/orienting new shooters to USPSA or IDPA.

Make sure of the course your signing up for. We had some handguners take the course thinking they could become RO's and help but the course also covered the rifle part and most of them failed the course because they don't shoot rifles and it lowered their scores to fail.

Make sure of the course your signing up for. We had some handguners take the course thinking they could become RO's and help but the course also covered the rifle part and most of them failed the course because they don't shoot rifles and it lowered their scores to fail.

Thats a bummer :surprise:

I'm confused. Are you saying they were unfamiliar with rifles and couldn't answer test questions, or that they didn't shoot rifles well, and there was a shooting portion of the test that they failed?

I took the NRA RSO course several years ago, and it was a full day course, the exam was pretty simple.

Someone told me recently that the NRA instructor course is 40 hours of class time. It sounds like whatever Justinsaneok did was much shorter.

I'm confused. Are you saying they were unfamiliar with rifles and couldn't answer test questions, or that they didn't shoot rifles well, and there was a shooting portion of the test that they failed?

I took the NRA RSO course several years ago, and it was a full day course, the exam was pretty simple.

Someone told me recently that the NRA instructor course is 40 hours of class time. It sounds like whatever Justinsaneok did was much shorter.

NRA basic pistol instructor class is 18 hours RO class is 9

NRA Basic pistol was 2 1/2 days. It was very long and anyone can pass this class. Not sure why I toke the class but atleast I wont have to take it again.

Wrong :wacko:

Im sorry. What part was I wrong?

Anyone who gets 90% or better on the test can past. I know people who failed it. LOL I know 18 hours is 18 hours and could be split up in 18 days if an hour a day. It's scary to think maybe the test wasn't taken but reviewed. Just a thought. We did it in 2 days. I'm with you on the glad I won't need to take it again.

The NRA basic pistol course takes 8 hours. It is intended to develop the basic knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to safely own and use a pistol. It is a basic course. As such, it includes a lot of book learning (knowledge) about different types of guns and ammunition. It includes a little range time to introduce basic shooting techniques, using the benchrest and standing positions (skills), but it is not intended to be an in-depth shooting course. Most importantly, it focuses on developing safe gunhandling habits (attitudes).

There is also a First Steps course that takes four hours or so, and which is a lot more narrow in scope. The students focus on one type of gun, and the subjects are covered in a lot less depth.

The NRA Pistol Instructor course is intended to provide the necessary training (knowledge, skills, and attitudes again) to qualify an instructor to teach that course. Instructor candidates begin with Basic Instructor Training, which is training them how to teach this kind of material. Then they learn how to teach the specific lessons from the basic course. They learn by doing - by taking turns actually teaching parts of each lesson to the other instructor candidates.

In addition to Pistol, there are Rifle and Shotgun courses, and Muzzleloading versions of each. There are also two Reloading courses, Home Firearms Safety, and two Personal Protection courses (inside and outside the home). The time requirements for the courses vary because of the amount of information covered. For instance, the Rifle course takes 14 hours because of the additional shooting positions.

The 4-H Shooting Sports program uses very similar courses to introduce kids to the shooting sports.

These courses are by far the best available for their purpose, which is to qualify someone to safely own and operate a gun. They aren't perfect, and NRA is slow to update them, but overall there are very few problems with them. The courses are based on sound principles and research, and on a LOT of accumulated knowledge and experience teaching people how to shoot.

There are a couple thousand Training Counselors (instructor trainers) in the U.S., and a lot more Certified Instructors. Many if not most of them are volunteers. Whenever a TC is trained, that person will go out and train many more instructors. Whenever an instructor is trained, that person will go out and teach many people how to safely handle guns. There is no way to measure the number of lives saved because a properly trained person did NOT have a mishap. Not to mention the fact that some of the students from these courses will be the new members who show up and join your clubs.

Sean P. Healy

NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor

The NRA basic pistol course takes 8 hours. It is intended to develop the basic knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to safely own and use a pistol. It is a basic course. As such, it includes a lot of book learning (knowledge) about different types of guns and ammunition. It includes a little range time to introduce basic shooting techniques, using the benchrest and standing positions (skills), but it is not intended to be an in-depth shooting course. Most importantly, it focuses on developing safe gunhandling habits (attitudes).

There is also a First Steps course that takes four hours or so, and which is a lot more narrow in scope. The students focus on one type of gun, and the subjects are covered in a lot less depth.

The NRA Pistol Instructor course is intended to provide the necessary training (knowledge, skills, and attitudes again) to qualify an instructor to teach that course. Instructor candidates begin with Basic Instructor Training, which is training them how to teach this kind of material. Then they learn how to teach the specific lessons from the basic course. They learn by doing - by taking turns actually teaching parts of each lesson to the other instructor candidates.

In addition to Pistol, there are Rifle and Shotgun courses, and Muzzleloading versions of each. There are also two Reloading courses, Home Firearms Safety, and two Personal Protection courses (inside and outside the home). The time requirements for the courses vary because of the amount of information covered. For instance, the Rifle course takes 14 hours because of the additional shooting positions.

The 4-H Shooting Sports program uses very similar courses to introduce kids to the shooting sports.

These courses are by far the best available for their purpose, which is to qualify someone to safely own and operate a gun. They aren't perfect, and NRA is slow to update them, but overall there are very few problems with them. The courses are based on sound principles and research, and on a LOT of accumulated knowledge and experience teaching people how to shoot.

There are a couple thousand Training Counselors (instructor trainers) in the U.S., and a lot more Certified Instructors. Many if not most of them are volunteers. Whenever a TC is trained, that person will go out and train many more instructors. Whenever an instructor is trained, that person will go out and teach many people how to safely handle guns. There is no way to measure the number of lives saved because a properly trained person did NOT have a mishap. Not to mention the fact that some of the students from these courses will be the new members who show up and join your clubs.

Sean P. Healy

Thanks

I was very impressed by the most recent update to the basic pistol course. I was concerned when I took the instructor course that I'd be fighting the outdated material(based on the BP course I took a few years ago), but I was pleasantly surprised. It's up to date (teaches thumbs forward grip, etc) and even mentions action pistol competition and self defense training. Bravo to whoever made the update happen. It's now a course I'm proud to teach. Yes, the material is quite basic, but it's a very solid foundation to learn from.

Sean P. Healy

Well put Sean. Thanks

I was very impressed by the most recent update to the basic pistol course. I was concerned when I took the instructor course that I'd be fighting the outdated material(based on the BP course I took a few years ago), but I was pleasantly surprised. It's up to date (teaches thumbs forward grip, etc) and even mentions action pistol competition and self defense training. Bravo to whoever made the update happen. It's now a course I'm proud to teach. Yes, the material is quite basic, but it's a very solid foundation to learn from.

The instructor class I took had updated material for the students however the Training Counselor had requested the updated TC material and said he came up empty handed. So some of the stuff he was reading wasn't even in are material. I was kind of funny how people where getting lost every 5 minuets.

The instructor class I took had updated material for the students however the Training Counselor had requested the updated TC material and said he came up empty handed. So some of the stuff he was reading wasn't even in are material. I was kind of funny how people where getting lost every 5 minuets.

Same here. The instructor told us that some students had the new books and some would have to old. I had an old book.