Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing AR gas rings

rtr

A trusted shooter recommended that I replace the gas rings on my AR, he gave me a spare set. So I pulled the old ones off, the new ones looked to be exactly the same as the old ones (except new obviously). I put them on by putting the tip of the ring into the slot where the rings go and then rolling around under the rest of the ring with a small screwdriver until the whole thing was on, repeated 3 times, the rings seems to have a bit larger diameter than the ones that were on there now, no doubt from stretching by putting them on. So will they shrink back down, do I need to do something to them? thanks.

You can usually use your fingers to roll the ring on after you got the tip of the ring in the groove, but no matter, you did it right! I don't think they stretch much so I would say your old rings were at the point of useful service. KURTM

If you hold the bolt carrier facing down with bolt up and it won't gravity drop to the forward position then you have enough gas ring contact to do the job (do this test with a clean bolt assembly).

BTW, the JP Low mass carriers are so slick that this test is not as valid on them as it on the average AR bolt carrier.

--

Regards,

My AR fails this test on a regular basis.

But it still runs.

I started using McFarland 1 piece rings about 3 years ago.

I like them, but they are not neccecarily any better IMHO than the standard setup.

Travis F.

Why do I get the feeling most people replace the gas rings way to often?

This goes along the same lines as excessive gas system cleaning and wearing out barrels via scrubbing and not shooting.