Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes this?

10ring

The other day was doing some slow firing trying to sense calling the shot. I didn't do so good on that goal but I noticed something else that disturbed me. After firing a shot, the sight alignment was okay verticley but the front sight was over to the left slightly. I've noticed the affect of too much tension causing the sight to not return verticley but this tendency to the left is new.

What causes this result?

After firing a shot, the sight alignment was okay verticley but the front sight was over to the left slightly. I've noticed the affect of too much tension causing the sight to not return verticley but this tendency to the left is new.

What causes this result?

Maybe renegade thumbs putting pressure on the frame?

I was shooting freestyle Brian. I was trying to being aware of what the pistol/sights were doing when the shot broke. Since I wasn't conciously ensuring my grip was staying constant, I could have let up somewhere along the way.

As for thumbs pressing against the frame .... wouldn't that tend to push the front sight over to the right? :wacko:

As for thumbs pressing against the frame .... wouldn't that tend to push the front sight over to the right? :wacko:

If you use a "heavy thumb" grip it requires that the righthand (usually the knuckle area just below the trigger finger) push back to the left to balance the thumb's pressure. As the gun flips up and the thumb position shifts, the pressure on the RH side could turn the muzzle left.

At any rate, as somebody pointed out, the solution is to get a grip that stays "neutral" as the gun moves. Plaxco says that's why you should apply front/rear clamping pressure to the grip with the right hand and a balanced "left right" clamp force with the left hand. The right hand should not be applying any "left-right" force. That's also the reason most advise to keep the trigger finger off the frame: if it applies force to the frame on the RHS, the thumbs have to push back to balance it.

According to my NRA circle target of Diagnosis, it says shots to the left are caused by too little trigger finger. That is if you are right handed. If you are left handed the decoder ring says too much trigger finger.

I got out today for a little practice and to see if I could figure out the issue I mentioned. Well, today I wasn't experiencing the left-ward bias after recoil like before. It was probably due to an unbalanced grip as Erik suggested but I sure would like to know what about the grip was unbalanced so if it happens again I can make changes to correct it instead of worrying about it for days.