Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abandoning Pistol

Usually if I have to move to a position to dump the pistol why not drop the mag and rack it.If the dump box is right there I'll just slap the safety on and keep things soft.

Seems like charging into a dump bucket is where 95% of all DQ's occur..

1 second or DQ?

Just my thought process after all entry fees,travel expenses and my level of skill.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flick the safety on and Place the gun where ever it is supposed to go, safety side up, last thing to touch the gun is my thumb holding safety on. would a glock be faster? Yes, do I care if a glock is safer or not than my gun with the safety off? No, the rules are the rules and I play by them. If my glock was in 9mm not 40 I would probably run it but it isn't so I don't. The firs think you need to do to finish well at a match is to finish the match any time you take making sure you don't DQ is well spent and if you short cut yourself in this area you may finish one place higher or not finish at all.

Mike

Depends on the stage. I prefer to empty the gun. If I have time after the last target (a couple of steps to the drop point) I'll drop the mag and lock the slide back. Option 2 is drop mag and rack, safety is engaged with one hand as it's placed in the drop point. Just on safe is only used when conditions look favorable (the drop point is such that it's just shy of impossible for the pistol to move around and take off the safety).

Edited by DarthMuffin

I don't like the idea of a speed unload in a 40 cal 2011, I've seen too many pictures of people blowing something up on the ULSC. As I'm engaging my last target, I'll drop the mag and shoot the round into the last target. Then flip the safety up. That way even if it gets bumped off, it's still a completely empty gun.

I do the same for the rifle.

As far as shotgun, I try to run to an empty gun at the end of the stage, because any extra rounds in there were a few seconds I wasted. If not, I see no harm in safely dumping the rounds into the last target. Plus then I am controlling the muzzle more than trying to "Speed Unload" a shotgun.

It makes sense to me because I'm already safely shooting on the clock. I can do that much faster (and I think more safely) than emptying the gun otherwise.

Im also the guy that's been shooting a long time and still actually does the slide back, hold, slide forward, hammer down, holster all on command when I could have one of those fancy, fast rituals :blink: