Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front shooting rest

Graham Smith

My 9" to 13" Harris Bipod is too tall to use with my Rem 700 on the bench, so I need something else. I don't want a full length sled so the likely choices are:

Unshaped "sandbags"

Shaped front rest bag

Mechanical front rest

6" to 9" swivel bipod

Suggestions?

The short Harris bipod is the cost effective solution.

That's the direction I'm leaning. Certainly the more versatile solution.

Atlas bipods are heads and shoulders above the Harris.

At nearly three times the price, they should be that and more.

Edited by Graham Smith

The 6-9" Harris with the swivel head and notched legs is what I'd recommend. The Atlas is a good 'pod, as mentioned, but the Harris ain't exactly a piece o' crap. They ruled the bipod world for a lot of years, and still hold their own. I do a different kind of bipod shooting (F/TR) and while I use something other than a Harris most days I still keep one in the side-pouch of my rifle case as a back-up...

Someone at another site recommended the Shooters Ridge 6-9" swivel. He said it's not quite as well made but for some bench shooting it's perfectly good and is a good deal cheaper.

Shooters Ridge is a Harris clone that is made in China.

• 3 weeks later...

A benchrest type shooting rest like the one's that Sinclair make are going to give you the best stability, but you won't want to take them around in the field for hunting. They do make a lighter one that they market for F-class. (never seen one at a match though)

I had an Atlas and hated it. Many shooters who compete on bipods prefer the Harris over the Atlas. I like the Bobro one's but that's just me. You can snag a good used rest on ebay or the classifieds at 6mmbr.com for a decent price. Then you will want to get a rear bag too and before you know it you will need a better trigger, shooting mat, spotter and so on.

I use the Harris 6-9 and find no fault with it at all. Absolutely get the swivel and I wish I had the notched leg version. I always use mine in 6" height but a buddy has the notched and find it would be a good addition if buying new.

We use wooden wedges under the rear of ours so you can see we aren't into fancy but what is functional and what works without spending a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Topstrap