Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way to go with 9 mm Major OPEN build

Freddie the Swede

I use N105 and 4756. I could never make major with it on a gun with popple holes and a 13 port comp. I would have more powder on on the bench and floor than in my cases. ;)

I never saw dave shoot open major USPSA either.

I know people will say that if you pick up your suppercomp brass the cost goes down. I would agree with the statement ,But how many people actualy pick up their brass much less brass for anyone else. I have been shooting alot lately and from what I have seen the matches have become a lost brass afair. When I shot my last season with a supper comp gun I shot well over 40,000 rounds and purchased 15,000 pieces of brass .Averaging around 2.5/3 shots per piece. Thats when i went to 9 I had had enough.Thats been about 9 years ago.

Edited by Mad Scientist

I use N105 and 4756. I could never make major with it on a gun with popple holes and a 13 port comp. I would have more powder on on the bench and floor than in my cases. ;)

I never saw dave shoot open major USPSA either.

Ya those powders are to slow with 9 . You have to change your thinking a little. the 9 is a higher pressure more efficient cartridge .using a slighly quicker powder gives the needed case volume. trying more moderen powders that have a higher yield to weight helps also. 4756 has a very sharp pressure curve ramping at the end almost verticle. N105 is hard to make major in a 38 with a lot of holes to.

Well fellas,

I don't mind as long as it gets as interesting as this thread has become.

If I dig out the essential parts for me the thread says that I can go either way with my parts.

Both will make MAJOR with a 9x19 but with slightly different results.

The Storm lake barrel and the Brazos cone comp will get me a fairly normal MAJOR 9 gun and

the Schuemann 4-hole hybricomp with Brazos comp with the right powder (sp2) will get me really flat and REALLY loud gun.

So far the thread comments makes me think that I should be bold and take the Schuemann hybrid route :0)

It also says that I should by really GOOD hearing protection and inform the RO:s that my gun will be loud before I start a stage.

As I'm working in a field where boldness is rewarded (marketing) I think that I will go the hybricomp way and look no further.

Many thanks to all who answered my question.

It might take a little while before I can answer your untold question "How did it go?" as I'm currently unemployed. But as soon as I'm employed again and have some cash to spare the change will happen.

And I promise that I will get you all a full report of how it works when it's done and tested.

Many thanks

//Freddie

The primary thing you have going for you with 9 is the SP2 & free brass. I'm assuming your Super brass wouldn't be free. If it is, there are more powders available that'll make major in Super & work the comp (many stateside 9 shooters would kill for a regular supply of SP2), though that list will be limited some by the hybrid barrel. The SP2 will make the 9 great, by all accounts, but no matter what you do, the two setups are going to be very different in handling (lighter up front w/ the Brazos than with the hybrid) & shooting characteristics (9 will likely be softer, Super will be flatter).

Disregard that last post. I forgot that you're going 9, period.

That's what happens when someone *cough* tries to threadjack with irrelevant information that doesn't address the issue presented.