Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SR 4756

cop206

Does anyone out there use SR4756 for a 40 caliber Limited Load? If so, has your experience been a positive one or should I look at loading with a different powder. I also use Ramshot Silhouette. Most people tell me SR4756 is a good Open Gun Powder but seem a little surprised when I tell them I'm using it as a Limited Gun Load.

Have been using 5.7 grains shooting 180 grain Black Bullets. OAL 1.165

I'm gonna chrono tomorrow using the above load, also gonna try 5.9 grains and 6.1 to see what I will need to make MPF.

4756 is a slower burning powder and as someone stated, what they use for shooting open. You can use it if that's all you have, but I predict that using it is going to be like using other slow burners for the 40.. blasty, likely dirty, and the recovery from the recoil will slow you down. There are better powders out there for making major that are not so blasty and allow a faster recovery shot due to feeling less snappy. I used to use Power pistol which is a bit faster than 4756 but not by much and my recovery time was a lot slower than something like Solo 1000, 231, or Clays. If it's what you have, then it will work.. but it is not a powder that USPSA shooters turn to for faster recovery for follow up shots in a 40 cal limited gun (or Revolver in my case). In an open gun, it is used for the amount of gas it produces and the ability to have the lighter bullets make major..

Edited by sargenv

Thanks sargenv, sounds like an educated answer. I've got an open gun too so nothings lost. I'm still gonna chrono what I've loaded so I can feel just what your talking about when I shoot those loads.Interested to see how the Silhouette compares to the 4756 in a Major PF Load. I've looked at a couple of burn rate charts and one has Silhouette burning faster than 4756, then the other had 4756 burning faster than Silhouette. Thanks for your answer.

Thanks Aaron! The problem I run into is trying to find a load that will not burn to fast and rip any of the moly off my bullets. If you load a real fast burning powder it seems like it leaves a little more residue in the barrel but then again you don't want a real slow burning powder either. Silhouette seems to work fairly well. I guess I'm just always searching for that perfect load, LOL.

For Moly bullets in the 40 I tend to like single based propellants.. and Solo 1000 fits the bill perfectly.. It is what I was using for moly bullets before I started casting my own. Another powder I used for 40 cal minor was Ramshot Competition, a shotshell target powder. The only downside to Solo 1000 is it is reverse temperature sensitive.. if you are major already at 70 deg, it will be MORE major the lower the temp goes. Otherwise I have had no issues with it.

Chrono Results: Temp 65 degrees in full sun. Shooting a 6in STI and 5 In SV

40 caliber 180 Grain BBI loaded with 5.8 grains Ramshot Silhouette at 1.162 OAL

6 inch gun power factor was 175.3

5 inch gun power factor was 168.3

Now using 5.9 grains of SR 4756 with same bullet and OAL

6 inch gun power factor was 178.2

5 inch gun power factor was 164.6

6.1 grains of SR4756 with same bullet and OAL

6 inch gun power factor was 180.2

5 inch gun power factor was 171.8

40 caliber 180 grain Montana Gold CMJ loaded with 4.5 grains of Tite Group at 1.165 OAL

6 inch gun power factor was 173

5 inch gun power factor was 168

Recovery time was faster with the Silhouette than the SR4756. After I get all this powder used up, I will experiment with Solo 1000.

Please keep in mind that Solo is temperature sensitive, a friend of mine had a little bit of a surprise when outside temp. changed.

Silhouette is reverse sensitive, i.e. you will lose PF when it warms up outside. Just my $0.02.

Edited by Team Amish 1

Thanks Roman! I'm just wondering how reverse sensitive the Silhouette is? Guess I will have to experiment with different temperatures, but that may take a while.

• 1 month later...

For Moly bullets in the 40 I tend to like single based propellants.. and Solo 1000 fits the bill perfectly.. It is what I was using for moly bullets before I started casting my own. Another powder I used for 40 cal minor was Ramshot Competition, a shotshell target powder. The only downside to Solo 1000 is it is reverse temperature sensitive.. if you are major already at 70 deg, it will be MORE major the lower the temp goes. Otherwise I have had no issues with it.

Sargenv it was great meeting you at the 4/3/11 Richmond match! I shot with the moly/Solo 1000 combo for the first time yesterday and I really liked it! I shot production and the rounds I shot were in the 150pf range. I am going to try and get it down a little and get my G35 to run as well as it did at the 150pf mark. Are you loading for the weather? I do normally load a day or two before the match. Great match yesterday and it is a great club you guys have in Richmond! :cheers: Kent

Edited by Downrange58