Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P 40 PRO 5"

msb

• 2 weeks later...

I have one, and I've worked up some major reloads. I haven't shot it in any comps yet. Not sure if it's been approved for USPSA yet.

Thanks let me know how you like the accuracy

• 2 weeks later...

I was using a 9 PRO and my son (12) shoots it in IDPA and SSC. Like it so much I got the PRO in 40. I LOVE IT. I've been shooting a 1911 (.45) in USPSA L10 and this platform change looks like it will work out great. The 40 shoots softer than .45 and no snap like 9. Flat enough at 171PF. Shooting minor 40 loads will be truly delightful! Haven't done any accuracy tests from a bench, but plenty accurate out of the box for competition.

I was using a 9 PRO and my son (12) shoots it in IDPA and SSC. Like it so much I got the PRO in 40. I LOVE IT. I've been shooting a 1911 (.45) in USPSA L10 and this platform change looks like it will work out great. The 40 shoots softer than .45 and no snap like 9. Flat enough at 171PF. Shooting minor 40 loads will be truly delightful! Haven't done any accuracy tests from a bench, but plenty accurate out of the box for competition.

THanks for the report I have a 9mm pro that shoots ok not as accuraate as my 40 fs and I would like to see or hear about your loads and thier accuracy from the 40 I dont need to spend any more money on ammo but if its a little more accurate than my pro 9mm it might make me pull the trigger on the deal. Thanks I use clays in 9mm 3.7gn with a mg jhp, in 40 clays 3.1gn with a moly 180gn tc

I've got a 5" 40 pro. lowest recoiling 40 with full power loads I have ever shot. Feels like shooting a hot 9. One good thing about Mp's i have found ,is that they will work with light loads that choke other guns.

I bought a 40 instead of a 9mm so I could choot almost anything in IDPA and Uspsa

I have a 5" pro 40 on order. If I shoot Atlanta Arms 180gr loaded in minor would I need to change the recoil spring? What weight is the stock spring?

I can't say for certain if you'll have to change the spring. My impression so far of both the MP40Pro and the MP45c is that they are very forgiving when it comes to load range, and seem to handle just about anything. For the really wimpy loads, however, I did change out the MP40 to a 13#. I also believe the stock spring is 16#, and IMSI offers 13, 15, 17 and 20# springs (Brownells is one source).

I finally worked down to 3.0gr of Solo 1000 under the 180gr TC lead bullet, and I find it sweeeeet. Others might find it a big sluggish, I did initially, but now I rather enjoy it. Seems to be cuttin' it kinda close though at about 127PF, but OTOH it seems consistent with an SD of around 15 or so as I recall, and that was a bad day for the chrono.

I've got about 5,000 rds of lighter loads through the Pro using both the 13# and 15# springs--no hiccups.

Edited by Bongo Boy