Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR

sschultz

Guys I need help on my next project. I am going to build a short barrel upper but I am not sure what caliber I want to use. I tried posting this on another forum but did not get a answer. What round performs better out of a SBR.

Thanks

Schultz

This is going to be a SHTF(shit hit the fan)rifle and maybe used once and awhile as a 3 gun. I had thought about 7.62x39 but I don't know how that round does out of a SBR. I have heard that the 5.45x39 works out of a short barrel but I kinda want a bigger bore.

Schultz

5.56 or 6.5. 7.62 x 39 is ok, just not as acurate.

If you dont mind blowing everyones ears out or being beat to death (flash hidder instead of break) go with a 308.

Hate going into this SHIFT stuff but what is the most avalable 223.

I've had 9mm sbr and for me it turned into a toy. pistol caliber carbine just does absolutely nothing for me. i tried it a few times in a course and consistently found i was faster and more accurate with a limited hand gun.

I still have sbr uppers in .223 and .300 Whisper. the Whisper is okay, but i'm s little stingy and dont care for losing my hard to make/expensive brass, so its beena safe queen for 2 years now. I do regularly use the .223 upper and have since added a Gemtech can to it.

IMO, you will get more mileage out of a .223 upper.

I have a 10.5" .223/5.56 with a YHM can. It looks cool I guess but I rarely shoot it. I really can't find many practical applications for it. If I'm going to spend my valuable range time and ammo it's going to be on something useful. For me that means my competition gun. Thus the SBR sits in the safe collecting dust.

In my experience, don't waste the money. Find a setup you like and stick to it, there really isn't a good reason to blow tons of cash on a bunch of ARs in various configurations. In the end you'll end up with one, possably two, that you actually shoot. The rest will be safe queens that tie up space and money.

Guys I need help on my next project. I am going to build a short barrel upper but I am not sure what caliber I want to use. I tried posting this on another forum but did not get a answer. What round performs better out of a SBR.

Thanks

Schultz

It depends one what you mean by "better". Check out the ballistics section on M4C if this is what you are looking for.

1. Easiest option-556

2. Probably best ballistic but most expensive option-6.8

3. Second easiest option with better ballistics than 556- go with 300BLK (but there is no good commercially available defense load yet)

I have 3 SBR's:

RRA 10.5 in 9mm AR

RRA 10.5 in 223 AR

GSG5 PK IN .22 LR

The 9mm & 22 LR are mostly for fun and economics - they're just plain cheaper to shoot. Only one I would run in a 3 gun match or trust in a defensive situation is the 223. All function well, but the 9mm is the least accurate of the 3.

I'm registering my receiver as we speak... The plan is a 223 10" upper for 3 gun and range fun, HD, SHTF and a 22 conversion kit with a can on it for steel matches and good times.

the 22 kits function great, especially with a can. Plus, it's 2 calibers for the price of one, good training, and change out takes about 15 seconds.

You're welcome to play with my set up if you come visit in, um, like 12-43 weeks when the paperwork clears :ph34r:

The NFA branch has been kind enought to "append" a matrix to my registered SBR receivers that have every caliber I can think of listed along with a list of barrel lengths and a note that as long as I keep one short barrel "dedicated" to that AR lower it may be configured in any caliber and barrel length listed.

Now I have several drawers full of spare uppers.

I seem to shoot the 12" .223 the most, both with and without the Surefire 556K. The 10.5" 9mm is cool, and some of the other configurations are fun, but as Cap said you will end up with some safe queens and one or two that get shot a lot.

Of course, now that I have a 07/SOT I do play more with the short uppers than I did before, mostly for the CDI factor. I am glad that my reflexive anti-social tendencies over the years have resulted in almost all of my AR's having full auto carriers. Makes it much easier to swap uppers to any of my full auto lowers :)

Our next crazy projects (now that the MP40 is together and running and we have converting AR's to a assembly line process) will be a Grease Gun, then maybe some Sten and Sterling builds and a M1A1...

Alex