Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Husker on board

farmrboy

Been lurking for a year or more before I registered here. I went to my first pistol match in the fall of '09 and then another last spring. I've thought about competitive pistol shooting since high school (back in the early 80's) but didn't know how to start and the two closest ranges are 90 mi. away, so I stayed content with shooting trap since the 8th grade. My trucking business and the farm really limit my play time. I've spent the past year getting equipment ready. I plan on shooting single stack once a month and 3 gun once a month. I've got 2 1911's, one with a Marvel conversion for practice, I also built a ar15 from scratch for 3 gun and am finishing up a Saiga converson for the shotgun stages. I also was lucky enough to win an almost new EAA limited on Gunbroker for less than half the price of a new one, that will be used for 3 gun too. I am hoping to start competing next month. I am really looking forward to it, but am dreading being a middle-aged newb on the range. But, it would be worse if I didn't try at all.

I Live about 90 miles from both Grand Island and Louisville. So I have 2 very nice facilities to go to.

Been lurking for a year or more before I registered here. I went to my first pistol match in the fall of '09 and then another last spring. I've thought about competitive pistol shooting since high school (back in the early 80's) but didn't know how to start and the two closest ranges are 90 mi. away, so I stayed content with shooting trap since the 8th grade. My trucking business and the farm really limit my play time. I've spent the past year getting equipment ready. I plan on shooting single stack once a month and 3 gun once a month. I've got 2 1911's, one with a Marvel conversion for practice, I also built a ar15 from scratch for 3 gun and am finishing up a Saiga converson for the shotgun stages. I also was lucky enough to win an almost new EAA limited on Gunbroker for less than half the price of a new one, that will be used for 3 gun too. I am hoping to start competing next month. I am really looking forward to it, but am dreading being a middle-aged newb on the range. But, it would be worse if I didn't try at all.

I Live about 90 miles from both Grand Island and Louisville. So I have 2 very nice facilities to go to.

Welcome! I think North Platte still has USPSA shoots at Platte River Sportsman's Club if you are more "out west" (doesn't sound like it). I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but I have to drive similar distances in North Carolina (more populated) to make matches. Almost everytime it is worth it! :lol:

I think North platte does too. Thats almost 4 hr drive though. I'm 90 mi east of G.I., and 100 west of Omsha. Hastings (70 mi west)had indoor IDPA, but it's during the week, which doesn't work for me. Columbus has cowboy action, but I'm not sure about USPSA. I've got a friend that lives by G.I. that's a tester for Hornady and occasionally shoots on their 2nd team. He wants me to go with him to one of the big 3gun matches this year. I need to know what I'm doing first!

Hello, farmr! Don't let being middle age keep you from starting a new hobby. As a farmer, you understand that there is a season for everything. I see signs that your season of competitive pistol and 3-gun shooting is just getting underway. :cheers: