Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Faster

doc540

Beginnger that I am....

After spending the last couple of months becoming more accurate and learning to group by seeing my front sight, at a match a couple of weeks ago one of my mentors suggested that I practice shooting faster.

hmmmm.....you think?

He told me to start at a very close range and draw and fire three shots as quickly as possible.

....repeat until I could consistently put the three fast shots in a scoring group and begin to move the target further away.

Surprise...surprise

I can shoot more quickly and more accurately than I expected.

Back from my third trip to the range practicing more rapid fire.

We're really starting to have some fun here now. :)

That makes a lot of sense. I just wrote down a training program with this idea. I was thinking about doing this in increments of 5 yards. 10, 15, 20... up to 50 yards with 3 shots in center mass (A zone). Then once this is semi-mastered 5 years from now. Do the same thing but... head shots only!

Shooting fast is accomplished by "seeing" fast. In order to call your shots, you have to watch the front sight lift out of the rear notch and relative to the point of initial lift, thats where your shot willl be. It's not simply acquiring one sight picture and pulling the trigger multiple times. Each shot should have it's own sight picture. Now granted that sight picture may only last for a small fraction of a second, but it's still there. Keep working on shooting fast but more importantly seeing fast. Your eyes should set the pace.

Cheers

Yes, "seeing" is the key.

Two months of getting intimate with the front sight is beginning to pay off.

And in BE's book he suggests starting to focus on the sight as the gun is pushed forward into position.

With my challenged eyesight and trifocals that extra time really does help to get the sight in focus.

My front sight is becoming my best friend when shooting.

Edited by doc540

Glad you're having success but don't practice too fast right away. Speed up your normal pace, but don't try to be lighting quick at first. I tried to be lighting quick right away (I lack patience) and I developed a lot of bad habits, such as not watching my front sight and not learning to call my shots. Plus, you will waste a lot of ammo. Speed eventually comes, but I found that slow is fast. Slow and efficient movement. Efficiency also contributes to speed. The less wasted motion, the faster you will be. I was real clumsy at first (sometimes when I get tired I still get clumsy.) Let me suggest to also move with continuity and efficiency of motion. That will speed you up too.

Edited by Handgun World Show