Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun slide weight

blaster113

I tried the search function and got some of what I was looking for. Some of the threads I read were a from a few years ago, just wanted current opinions. I had a custom STI based Open gun built recently and had some slide lightening done. The slide weighs in at 10.8 oz bare. I understand the benefits of a lightened slide, but I'm curious to see what guys are actually running nowadays; heavily lightened slides, minimal lightening, etc. Most of the guns I see have some form of lightening done. I'm going to send the ugly beast (still in the white) out to get hard chromed soon and am debating if I should do more lightening. The gun is chambered for .38SC, major ammo, and has a light Brazos cone comp on a std. profile barrel. The gun transitions real fast, shoots pretty soft but a little violent with certain powders. Probably gotta play with recoil springs some.

And I still suck in Open if that matters :ph34r: Still cant drive this thing like I can my limited gun.

I tried the search function and got some of what I was looking for. Some of the threads I read were a from a few years ago, just wanted current opinions. I had a custom STI based Open gun built recently and had some slide lightening done. The slide weighs in at 10.8 oz bare. I understand the benefits of a lightened slide, but I'm curious to see what guys are actually running nowadays; heavily lightened slides, minimal lightening, etc. Most of the guns I see have some form of lightening done. I'm going to send the ugly beast (still in the white) out to get hard chromed soon and am debating if I should do more lightening. The gun is chambered for .38SC, major ammo, and has a light Brazos cone comp on a std. profile barrel. The gun transitions real fast, shoots pretty soft but a little violent with certain powders. Probably gotta play with recoil springs some.

And I still suck in Open if that matters :ph34r: Still cant drive this thing like I can my limited gun.

There have been no significant changes in open guns in the past 15 years, if you listen to the experts. In a full size gun the slide weight varies from 9 - 11 ounces. My three weigh in at 10oz+-. I had one 38SC with a Cone Brazos TC II, I swapped out the Brazos TC II, for a Brazos TC III, it has one more large top port and the gun seemed to shoot flatter and softer. If you have a look at the Brazos guns you will see they are running 4 holes in the barrel and the recommended powder is N105. IMHO an oz one way or the other on the slide isn't going to do much for your hoover syndrome. If the gun is violent then I recommend a Dawson DP-2 Comp, it will tame the beast that lives in the machine. Try a 10# recoils spring, that is what I run, my smith kept saying it was too heavy, then he shot my gun, and he put a 10 in his. I'm finding that the Wolf Recoil springs are only lasting me about 1-2k rounds and then they need to be replaced to maintain the feel.

If your having trouble finding the dot, quit short arming the gun! It took me about a year to figure that one out.

Hello: The Frankinguns new top end weights 10.6 ozs and I will try it at that. If I don't like it I will tri-top it to get the weight down a little more. It is a 9mm major open pistol and I use a 8lb recoil spring usually but this one is a little tight still so I may have to use a 11lb till it loosens up a bit. Then I will have it hard chromed. Thanks, Eric

Yeah, just to add a little more information to my previous post, I'm running a 38 super 5" gun, Brazos 3 port comp., no popple holes, total gun weight of 40 oz. and I am also using an 8 lbs. spring, with a 115gr. bullet. Very quick and snappy, but I love that combination.

Here's a recent video of my open gun, that illustrates how the slide merely reciprocates back and forth, with very little up and down recoil.

th_SANY0117.jpg

Edited by Chris Keen

Mine weights in at 11.1oz with all the little bits and a racker. Full size 9 major, 3 port Hybrid barrel with a small 2 port comp with 2 side holes, 8lb recoil spring and a total gun wight of 44oz with an alum. C-More and stainless steel magwell. Gun shoots pretty flat, not as flat as Chris's, judging by his video, but I deal with it. I shoot 124's with 7.6 of TrueBlue for a 170 pf. This set-up got me within less than 1% of GM, then I stopped shooting Open in 2010. I still have something to strive for.

Yeah, just to add a little more information to my previous post, I'm running a 38 super 5" gun, Brazos 3 port comp., no popple holes, total gun weight of 40 oz. and I am also using an 8 lbs. spring, with a 115gr. bullet. Very quick and snappy, but I love that combination.

Here's a recent video of my open gun, that illustrates how the slide merely reciprocates back and forth, with very little up and down recoil.

That looked pretty flat but also looked like it was putting a good hit in the palm. I also caught your limited gun video and it looked nice and flat as well. Reminds me of Alamo Shooter and another gun shooting a limited gun at a match both with the same ammo. When Alamo Shot it it look flat and tame when the other guy shot it was a little tasmanian devil just bouncey. Alamo is a carpenter by trade so he has the arm and wrist strength to hold the gun steady, so this also comes into play. Same gun same ammo just totally different. While I worked hard to put together the combination that works for me, that same combination won't work for another shooter. In the grand scheme I think the slide weight isn't that big of a factor as long as it is in the range of 10-11 oz. The comp can make a big difference but finding the load that works with what you have is the ticket. I've also noticed that over time as skill improves the preferences change from wanting something tame to something a little quicker reacting. If I'm comfortable shooting it and I can track the dot I'm happy.

Hello: I have played with slide weight some and have seen what you can do with a lighter slide compared to a heavy slide on an open pistol. I use 115 grain bullets as well and don't mind the harder hit in the hand as long as it shoots flatter and cycles fast. It also has to have a good dot track as well. Finding the correct powder for you helps alot. Thanks, Eric

th_SANY0117.jpg

Your gun shoots extremely flat. Love the flames shooting out too! What kind of powder are you using? I'm trying to decide between N105 and 3N38 The N105 seemed to shoot a little flatter but hit a little harder in the hand. Going to do some more testing with the two loads in the morning.

Chris: I found that 3N37 was the hardest on the hand for my 9mm major loads. I also got some funky(technical term) dot movement when I got the power factor up to 174-176. The pistol shot flatter up there but the dot did the hula and would not return to the same place. It maybe different with a 38 super or super comp. Thanks, Eric

Here's a photo of the beast when it was spawned. I call it the beast cause its still in the white and looks like shit due to some surface rust stains here and there. Thanks to the side mount C more I have no trouble finding the dot; its just that I haven't quite been able to shoot and drive the gun to its full potential. Then again, I switch back and forth and I know I should concentrate on one platform to get better. More serious with Limited vs. Open right now, but Open is sure as hell fun and thats why I cant resist going back and forth once in a while. Its the race car analogy; fast and loud! The beast runs absolutely 100%, is fit well and shoots pretty soft. I just have to find the right powder and load. So many variables with Open. Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to leave the slide alone and not do any more lightening.

post-18249-024858700 1298607175_thumb.jp

post-18249-003505500 1298635227_thumb.jp

Edited by SIG shooter

Here's a photo of the beast when it was spawned. I call it the beast cause its still in the white and looks like shit due to some surface rust stains here and there. Thanks to the side mount C more I have no trouble finding the dot; its just that I haven't quite been able to shoot and drive the gun to its full potential. Then again, I switch back and forth and I know I should concentrate on one platform to get better. More serious with Limited vs. Open right now, but Open is sure as hell fun and thats why I cant resist going back and forth once in a while. Its the race car analogy; fast and loud! The beast runs absolutely 100%, is fit well and shoots pretty soft. I just have to find the right powder and load. So many variables with Open. Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to leave the slide alone and not do any more lightening.

Dat's a good looking gun, looks a lot like mine. If you want to sell it, I got a guy bugging me crazy looking for a good gun. AA#7 is the ugly twin to N105 just less recoil and more dirty. 3N38 throws bigger and better flames than 3N37 but I hear its good stuff just never tried it.

Edited by CocoBolo

Dat's a good looking gun, looks a lot like mine. If you want to sell it, I got a guy bugging me crazy looking for a good gun. AA#7 is the ugly twin to N105 just less recoil and more dirty. 3N38 throws bigger and better flames than 3N37 but I hear its good stuff just never tried it.

thanks for the compliments. Gary Gans put the gun together for me from a couple of boxes of parts I mailed him. No plans on selling the gun, its getting sent out to get hard chromed soon. Just got done testing some loads with N105 vs. 3N38 at about the same pf; the gun was more controllable with the 3N38, it shot softer and I got a tiny bit better splits. Had more blast with the N105 also. But sadly no flames yet with the 3N38. The N105 seems to put out a lot of gas (like me after a night of drinking :lol:)

Hello: I would rebarrel your 38 super and try the mags without spacers first. If it is a factory STI you can get a Tru-Bor barrel from Shooters Connection that will make the install easier. Thanks, Eric

Did I miss somthing, If the gun is too violent for you, then I would try putting a single popple hole about 1/2 back from the end of the slide, what they call a #3. This will give the comp a little assist. IMHO the Brazos comp is a little better than the TruBore. If that doesn't get you to that warm fuzzy feeling get a Dawson DP-2 comp, it will tame the beast. I switched 2 38SC guns to 9 major and I can tell you for a fact there is no reason to do that other than just to have the fun of doing it and then starting all over to get the gun running and develope loads. I will say I don't miss spraying Dikem on the 38SC cases or hunting for and picking up brass. I still have the 38SC barrels and comps and can switch back and forth between calibers. If you got too much flip throw a tungsten guide rod in it. IMHO. Shoot 10K rounds thru the gun and you won't even notice the flip or recoil you will be too busy having fun shooting it.

Eric is a lot like me we like to expierment and do things with the guns, not just shoot them, most times it works but not always. Here is a photo of my Testing gun http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=776 notice there is a couple Brazos comps on this one.

This is the end result of all the testing and what I call my #1 gun the one that broke me of looking at the Classified Ads on Enos and USPSA. http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=788

And of course then you got to have the backup gun: Notice the #3 poppel hole near the end of the slide: http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=731

Ron: I shot the Frankingun today and it felt great with loads from my shorty 9mm. I need to take some pics of all the Open stuff I have to do the testing of the different comps :surprise: On second thought maybe not since then I will know how much I have invested in all this stuff :roflol: I did find out today that I need to case gauge the 9mm ammo after 5 reloads. Some rounds had serious fat belly that jammed in the chamber. I think I will do that now. Thanks, Eric

Ron: I shot the Frankingun today and it felt great with loads from my shorty 9mm. I need to take some pics of all the Open stuff I have to do the testing of the different comps :surprise: On second thought maybe not since then I will know how much I have invested in all this stuff :roflol: I did find out today that I need to case gauge the 9mm ammo after 5 reloads. Some rounds had serious fat belly that jammed in the chamber. I think I will do that now. Thanks, Eric

Eric - I drop check every round, and if it didn't need to be drop checked all the better, but you never know that till you have done it. If you don't find fat boys, you find an occasional messed up primer or a split case or something else unexpected. :roflol: I got a new project from my B-Day a 1873 Winchester 38-40, but it just needs a dust cover, blonged to an old Texas Ranger back in the day its older than I am circa 1882.

Edited by CocoBolo

There have been no significant changes in open guns in the past 15 years, if you listen to the experts. In a full size gun the slide weight varies from 9 - 11 ounces. My three weigh in at 10oz+-. I had one 38SC with a Cone Brazos TC II, I swapped out the Brazos TC II, for a Brazos TC III, it has one more large top port and the gun seemed to shoot flatter and softer. If you have a look at the Brazos guns you will see they are running 4 holes in the barrel and the recommended powder is N105. IMHO an oz one way or the other on the slide isn't going to do much for your hoover syndrome. If the gun is violent then I recommend a Dawson DP-2 Comp, it will tame the beast that lives in the machine. Try a 10# recoils spring, that is what I run, my smith kept saying it was too heavy, then he shot my gun, and he put a 10 in his. I'm finding that the Wolf Recoil springs are only lasting me about 1-2k rounds and then they need to be replaced to maintain the feel.

If your having trouble finding the dot, quit short arming the gun! It took me about a year to figure that one out.

Hello: The Frankinguns new top end weights 10.6 ozs and I will try it at that. If I don't like it I will tri-top it to get the weight down a little more. It is a 9mm major open pistol and I use a 8lb recoil spring usually but this one is a little tight still so I may have to use a 11lb till it loosens up a bit. Then I will have it hard chromed. Thanks, Eric

Yesterday I finally got a chance to weigh my slide on a calibrated scale, and it weighed in right at 10.5 oz. bare, with no extractor, FP, or racker. :cheers:

Just looking for information BEFORE I start cutting. The easy thing would be to just re-barrel my STI 38 Super, and shim the mags if needed. Thoughts??? John

Load OAL 1.175. In my 9mm no spacers needed to function with STI or SV mags. Heavy or light slides/guns/springs are shooter specific. If you like snappy or pushy, you can tune your gun to that with weight, powder and springs. Then do timing drills and shoot what you have. :cheers:

I would not cut it. But then I like a pushy gun. :ph34r: