Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .357 nickel coated brass

cmksk

I reload .357 nickel brass. I can't tumble the brass because the nickel will come off. The problem is that when I bell the neck while dropping powder the die sticks in the brass. I think this is because the brass is not cleaned. Anyone else have this problem? Can I use case lube inside of the brass and not affect the powder? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

i tumble my nickel with no problem. i just through it in with my regular brass and clean. i have never had a problem with nickel getting stuck in my carbide dies. what dies you useing? who said you cant tumble it?

If the nickel is coming off your cases when you tumble it, you need to discard the cases. While I segregate nickel & brass cases, I occasionally load both, but often sell the nickel cases at gunshows because the always seem to have a shorter case life.. I have had an occasional case get sticky with the powder measure, but it was just a momentary issue & I cleared it by being a bit more (ahem) assertive with the press lever. Other options for you include tumbling your cases in media with polish in it, this would make the inside of the case a little slicker. You could also just use a case sizing lube that will dry on the case like One-Shot, or Redding dry case lube.

I reload .357 nickel brass. I can't tumble the brass because the nickel will come off. The problem is that when I bell the neck while dropping powder the die sticks in the brass. I think this is because the brass is not cleaned. Anyone else have this problem? Can I use case lube inside of the brass and not affect the powder? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Whomever told you that you can't tumble nickle cases is mistaken. Tumble them just like brass.

+1 on the above. Tumble nickel plated cases with brass cases. In my experience, nickel plated .357 cases split at the case mouth quicker than regular brass cases so examine them carefully each time you reload them.

Um, why would you need to toss the nickel cases that have the nickel coming off? I've loaded some 38 spl brass so many times that the nickel is wearing off and the brass is showing through and it loads just fine..

If the plating flakes off, you get a chunk of very abrasive material that can scratch your chamber or bore. I believe it may be a source of some of the scratched reloading dies I've had to discard over the years. Most of the rifle guys I know won't load plated brass because of this possibility. I have some .357 brass that have been sized so many times that the plating on the sides of the face is so thin that you can see brass underneath. I've also seen newer brass that has flaked at the case mouth on it's first firing. I usually don't mess with it much anymore, the guys at the gun shows will buy it without hesitation.

If the plating flakes off, you get a chunk of very abrasive material that can scratch your chamber or bore. I believe it may be a source of some of the scratched reloading dies I've had to discard over the years. Most of the rifle guys I know won't load plated brass because of this possibility. I have some .357 brass that have been sized so many times that the plating on the sides of the face is so thin that you can see brass underneath. I've also seen newer brass that has flaked at the case mouth on it's first firing. I usually don't mess with it much anymore, the guys at the gun shows will buy it without hesitation.

+1 But it shure do look purdy!

• 1 month later...

+1 on tumble it. never had a problem. Ref it sticking while being belled, make sure you have the correct size pwder funnel. I haven't seen one yet that was the right size that could overcome the mechanical advantage of the press pulling the case down.