Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti-Seize Compound instead of Slide Glide

Bladerunner

I have a 4oz brush-top can of Loctite Moly-Paste Anti-Sieze that I decided to try on my 1911.

This stuff ROCKS. The slide runs so smoothly now it's amazing. The great thing is you can pick it up at most hardware stores.

I use a Q-tip to apply the paste and it stays where you put it. No more CLP on my slide rails ever again.

I've never used Slide Glide, but I'm betting it's a similiar formulation to this stuff.

Much to the world's horror, I've used the anti-seize paste on Glocks and 1911's. It's good. Slide Glide is better.

The anti-seize's major drawback is that it's just a hell of a mess. The crap migrates everywhere. It's still better than just running plain oil. At least *something* is sticking onto the moving parts.

If I get anywhere near anti-seize, I leave trails of silver-grey wherever I go and on whatever I touch for the next two days. I would only use it as gun lube if I were lost in the desert and attacked by bedouin hordes. I use it for choke tube threads and nothing else. There's a reason they call it anti-seize, not lubricant.

I've never used Slide Glide, but I'm betting it's a similiar formulation to this stuff.

I'll take that bet. It's not even close to anti-seize, moly or otherwise.

Uhhh. As a mechanic I've used anti-seize for years. And while it's great for allowing spark plugs to return from hibernation, I'd never let it come anywhere near my pistol. And that was after I tried it.

;)

Bladerunner,

It has been my experience that anti-seize is designed to allow the removal of parts that operate in a STATIC application that gets very little movement in very adverse envirionments such as high heat and pressures. This is usually done by suspending the very fine bits of metal, sometimes nickle sometimes copper in a lubricant type base that can evaporate partially or completely leaving behind the metal as a barrier between the base metals that may possibly gall without it.

That being said, know that, if there is metal suspended in the anti-seize, every time you fire you are lapping the surfaces of your firearm with metal particles.

just my humble opinion

dj

This is usually done by suspending the very fine bits of metal, sometimes nickle sometimes copper in a lubricant type base that can evaporate partially or completely leaving behind the metal as a barrier between the base metals that may possibly gall without it.

You are correct. It's basically polishing compound.

• 1 month later...

It does work well as long as the slide to frame fit is not too tight, if it is the compound will make it wear faster then with a good straight gun oil or grease like slide glide. As the word Anti Seize "Compound" refers to small and sometimes Sharpe and hard additives that can mess up a good tight fit. I find on a tight gun a good light coat of oil is better then and thick grease, it is basic hydraulics at work.