Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Holster For ParaOrdinance P14

gunmetal1911

Can anyone help me with finding an approved holster for the Para P14?

I'm having some trouble finding a hoslter that will work with this 1911 due to the

fact that it has a double stack magazine.

All of the holsters that I've seen so far are designed for single stack 1911's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why would the size of the grip affect the type of holster you can use?

The double stack magazine well is considerably thicker than that of a single stack. In the molded holsters for 1911's that I've tried it keeps the gun from going into the holster far enough to have the trigger completely covered.

Interesting. I've never seen that, myself, and I've inserted Paras into a fair number of holsters in which I'd been using single stack 1911s over the years.

I'm interested in a Kydex holster for the P14 and I think this is were I'm running into trouble. There is very little give in that type of material, particularly when it's been molded to so closely form fit the gun. I have leather holsters for this gun already. I would just like some recommendations for a make of holster that has proper fit for the P14 and is also approved for use in IDPA.

I was quite suprised myself that I'm having this problem. But I am so any suggestions that have worked for anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. I've never seen that, myself, and I've inserted Paras into a fair number of holsters in which I'd been using single stack 1911s over the years.

You're talking open top holsters, yes, not something with a thumb strap?

Yes, I am talking open top holster. Preferably one with some level of retention in case I want to use it for concealed carry.

Two solutions occur to me:

(1) Order a holster from a company like Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac and specify exactly which model it's going to hold. They will mold it to fit that particular gun.

(2) Buy a heat gun for $24 at Home Depot and turn your single stack 1911 kydex holster into a double stack 1911 kydex holster yourself.

Two solutions occur to me:

(1) Order a holster from a company like Blade-Tech or Comp-Tac and specify exactly which model it's going to hold. They will mold it to fit that particular gun.

(2) Buy a heat gun for $24 at Home Depot and turn your single stack 1911 kydex holster into a double stack 1911 kydex holster yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can you tell me some of the holsters that you've used in P14's that you haven't had any problems with?

Also, How exactly would you suggest the heat gun process be employed?

Any particularly useful websites that you know of for good kydex or plastic molded open top holsters for P14's? Other than the ones mentioned above?

Thanks

Edited by gunmetal1911

Well, since I've been using Blade-Tech for, oh, the past 12 years with my 1911s, that's a pretty short list. :lol:

The heat gun (as you may well know) is basically a heavy duty, really hot hair dryer. It's what the kydex holster makers use in-house to remold holsters themselves. And I say that as someone who has been inside the Blade-Tech factory many, many times.

Blow the hot air onto the portion of the holster you want to remold. Don't hold it too long on any one spot or you can actually melt, as opposed to soften, the kydex. Once you've done it a few times you get a good feel for just how long is enough but not too much. Don't touch the heat gun to the kydex, just blow it like you're blow drying hair, keeping the heat gun away from the material and moving it back and forth. Insert the gun into the holster. Mold the plastic around the portion of the gun you want it to contour around, using your fingers. Allow to cool. Voila! You now have a remolded kydex holster.

As you may have gathered from the foregoing, extremely complex and technical description, this is a really easy, straightforward proposition. :)

Any particularly useful websites that you know of for good kydex or plastic molded open top holsters for P14's? Other than the ones mentioned above?

Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac are pretty much top-of-the-line when it comes to kydex holsters. Read any thread on the topic of "Best Kydex Holster for IDPA" and you'll find a whole bunch of people recommending Blade-Tech, and a whole bunch of people recommending Comp-Tac, and a few people recommending....anything else.

Well, since I've been using Blade-Tech for, oh, the past 12 years with my 1911s, that's a pretty short list. :lol:

The heat gun (as you may well know) is basically a heavy duty, really hot hair dryer. It's what the kydex holster makers use in-house to remold holsters themselves. And I say that as someone who has been inside the Blade-Tech factory many, many times.

Blow the hot air onto the portion of the holster you want to remold. Don't hold it too long on any one spot or you can actually melt, as opposed to soften, the kydex. Once you've done it a few times you get a good feel for just how long is enough but not too much. Don't touch the heat gun to the kydex, just blow it like you're blow drying hair, keeping the heat gun away from the material and moving it back and forth. Insert the gun into the holster. Mold the plastic around the portion of the gun you want it to contour around, using your fingers. Allow to cool. Voila! You now have a remolded kydex holster.

As you may have gathered from the foregoing, extremely complex and technical description, this is a really easy, straightforward proposition. :)

I figured it would be something like that but it sounded like something that you'd had previous experience with so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the information.

Yer welcome. :)

Arguably, anyone who has a whole bunch of guns and a whole bunch of kydex holsters really does need a heat gun, too. And at the cheap buy-in, there's no reason not to have one.

Alternately, if you live in an apartment complex, and you have a cool maintenance guy, ask him if you can borrow his heat gun. He probably has one, they're useful for more than just remolding holsters. ;)

I use the same Blade Tech holster I use for my 1911's with my P14. The only issue I have ever had is when I use the paddle attachment, it can activate the mag release on the draw. just a little filing to relieve that area and every thing is back to normal.

I use the same Blade Tech holster I use for my 1911's with my P14. The only issue I have ever had is when I use the paddle attachment, it can activate the mag release on the draw. just a little filing to relieve that area and every thing is back to normal.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.