Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why you should always check your load data.

Graham Smith

My practice ammo bucket hasn't been getting depleted as much as it should but it needs to, so I setup the press to load .40's yesterday. Primed a few cases and loaded them with powder then checked them on the scales. I was right on 4.5gr so a few more checks, then I loaded up 300 rounds. Happy with some time well spent, I recorded my loads in my book then sat there looking at it for a while. With a 180gr bullet and N320, 4.5gr is too low for major. WTF? Looked at my load book some more and scratched my head, what had I done. Then it hit me, I setup to load some lower powered ammo for a shoot where I wasn't going to need a 165PF a few weeks ago and never loaded it because something else came up.

Just goes to show, no matter how certain you are that you have things setup right, it's still measure and check twice before you start loading. Oh, well, it's not like I can't use these, they'll just go into the (new) slow fire practice bucket. :wacko:

My practice ammo bucket hasn't been getting depleted as much as it should but it needs to, so I setup the press to load .40's yesterday. Primed a few cases and loaded them with powder then checked them on the scales. I was right on 4.5gr so a few more checks, then I loaded up 300 rounds. Happy with some time well spent, I recorded my loads in my book then sat there looking at it for a while. With a 180gr bullet and N320, 4.5gr is too low for major. WTF? Looked at my load book some more and scratched my head, what had I done. Then it hit me, I setup to load some lower powered ammo for a shoot where I wasn't going to need a 165PF a few weeks ago and never loaded it because something else came up.

Just goes to show, no matter how certain you are that you have things setup right, it's still measure and check twice before you start loading. Oh, well, it's not like I can't use these, they'll just go into the (new) slow fire practice bucket. :wacko:

You can always use the minor PF ammo for steel matches!

That can be aggravating but the opposite happened to me...I referred to my loading book log, checked my powder as usual several times, made 400 rounds to get ready for a few matches and then I noticed I was using the wrong bullet!! Dooh! After I did some checking, these were going to be very high on the PF scale so I decided to take apart every round...what a painful experience. I've been loading for a long time but I was in a hurry and that's what happened. You really have to take your time and double check everything - no matter how long you've been loading.