Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

chronographs

catwrench

Hi i know that the chrono is for check your velocitys ,hi,low,spreads,and so on, what i'am not so sure of is the object to get your powder wieghts to where your velocitys have the least amount of spread for getting the most accurate round or am i totally wrong on this ?

If I understand your question, what I do with a chrono is use it to help me find the best combination of components. Much of the time some compromise is involved. It all about

<<<< Balance. wink.gif

Jim

I use mine to verify power factor. Using range brass induces a fair amount of deviation into the mix, and my version of accuracy is Minute of A-Zone (pistol) or Minute of Plate (rifle). I like to know that my loads are fairly consistent, and that I will not fall below my stated PF.

info you posted is good to know,will be using my chrono for developing loads.where i'am at now is to see if i canget my S.D. lower then 11.2 with my current load .Put just not sure how to go about it ? think about increaseing by a few grains ,match brass,swithing primers,,little at a time.

info you posted is good to know,will be using my chrono for developing loads.where i'am at now is to see if i canget my S.D. lower then 11.2 with my current load .Put just not sure how to go about it ? think about increaseing by a few grains ,match brass,swithing primers,,little at a time.

To me SD equals consistency. To get consistency you have to be consistent. LOL

I use N320 in 9mm minor. I started sorting brass and now get an SD of 4.;) I typically have duplicate readings over a chrono. It's really not necessary to go to such lengths but I sure do like KNOWING what my ammo is going to chrono at a major match.

wow that is awsome S.D. of 4 ! and i thought i was doing pretty good at S.D. of 11 figured i could bring it down some with little changes which ones i'amnot sure yet,but didn't think you could get that low.is it possible toget it that low in 40cal ?

Sorting your brass will be a big improvement but really an SD of 11 is better than alot of loads get. I think in the low to mid teens is pretty common.

thanks that makes me think i'am on the right track ,will sort brass ,wiegh brass & bullets ,and OAL fine dial in to see where this puts me.will chrono loads this weekend if weather permits,know i'am going way over what is needed but i need to know results , and how much they will very.

right now just target ,in future my get into IDPA

FWIW. You're free to put as much effort and detail into your pistol reloads as you want. It's part of the "fun" of rolling your own for many.

But you "may" note at some point that perfect, tuned, matched etc. ammo in these games IDPA and USPSA yields little. Benchrest?

Well, thats a whole different story. ;)

Jim

got to agree with you 100% , always wanted to bench rest but the cost of the rifles are very spendy and from what i read its a different world all to gather.would do bench rest in a hart beat over the IDPA games ,calibers of choice would be 308,2-22,22-50, problem is i'am a lefty ,could adapt to right handed rifle .for now just targets unless less deal of a life time on the right rifle comes along.

right now just target ,in future my get into IDPA

FWIW. You're free to put as much effort and detail into your pistol reloads as you want. It's part of the "fun" of rolling your own for many.

But you "may" note at some point that perfect, tuned, matched etc. ammo in these games IDPA and USPSA yields little. Benchrest?

Well, thats a whole different story. ;)

Jim

I agree with Jman, no need to put too much effort into reloading. If I can shoot an 8" circular steel plate at 50yds, I call it good. Get TOO sloppy and that "would-be-hit" on the edge of a popper turns into a miss because your gun shoots 2" groups at 10yards. There is some compromise...mostly with the time reloading vs. round count.

well for me with glock 20 and kkm barrel at 17yrds getting 4" group.But that with resting the gun , just can't seem to keep my group tight when hand held ,group opens right up to 8" or better.don't know if i am pulling trigger,grip on gun when holding,way i stand ,my aim, or fact that i am a lefty,with eye sight not the best.i just guess i need to pratice ,pratice, pratice,refine my loads and make sure thats not adding to it.and read alot on this forum

well for me with glock 20 and kkm barrel at 17yrds getting 4" group.But that with resting the gun , just can't seem to keep my group tight when hand held ,group opens right up to 8" or better.don't know if i am pulling trigger,grip on gun when holding,way i stand ,my aim, or fact that i am a lefty,with eye sight not the best.i just guess i need to pratice ,pratice, pratice,refine my loads and make sure thats not adding to it.and read alot on this forum

This is by no means meant to be a "1 up", but I'd say something is seriously wrong with either your ammo, trigger control, platform, or gun. Your glock should be much more accurate than that. I can hit the 8" circular steel plate at 45-50yds 6 out of 8 times standing freestyle and every time from a rest. If you're experiencing those groups from a rest and you're confident on your trigger control. Ditch the ammo...if that doesn't fix it, ditch the gun and buy a 1911.

+1 to Eric S. BUY A 1911. I have a Les Baer and I can hit steel plates out to 75 to 100 yards as long as I can see them!

before i go to that xtreme need to bench rest it some more have different shooter shoot it to confirm it's the gun not me change out the after market barrel and put stock barrel in to see how it shoots.notice sights have been replace by previous owner and am wondering if there not lined up right or mybe it is these eyes of mine.

Did you have a gunsmith put the new barrel in? Sometimes they need to be fitted...if not properly done, that alone can cause serious accuracy problems. If you want to stick with the Glock, have a gunsmith look it over. Wouldn't hurt to have him do a range test as part of the work. They usually charge a bit extra for that, but in your case it might be worth it. That would keep you from having to take it back to him time and time again if the problem's not fixed the first time.

when i bought the gun from dealer used,{i deal with him alot } he shot the gun at his back yard range before putting up for sale.said shoots perfect BUT that was the stock glock 20 barrel,i purchased after market barrel KKM from member on different forum.going to give dealer a call today see if he has time to run a few rounds to see what he thinks.when i purchased it the gun looks new , very few round down tube ,