Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with Benelli barrel length

Corey

Ok so while Im still contemplating a Mossberg 930, I'm afraid it may be awhile before anything gets released. I'd like to start browsing for a Benelli for 3gun in case i find a decent deal. I would love some input on barrel length. I see where the 21" is the way to go, but is a 24" any hinderance? seems like it may be easier to find.

Also for a longer barrel, a longer tube can be used and not stick out the end of the gun. If i get a longer tube (one that can maybe hold 9+1 or 10+1, would I need to do anything to plug the extra space or can i just load the normal 8+1 (I shoot TaOps)? seems having a bit extra space in the tube might make the last couple shells a tad easier to load (Jesse's setup comes to mind).

What say the 3gun experts? :cheers:

Also for a longer barrel, a longer tube can be used and not stick out the end of the gun. If i get a longer tube (one that can maybe hold 9+1 or 10+1, would I need to do anything to plug the extra space or can i just load the normal 8+1 (I shoot TaOps)? seems having a bit extra space in the tube might make the last couple shells a tad easier to load (Jesse's setup comes to mind).

yes and yes............

I have a 26" bbl on my M2, and a +7 NC tube. The tube sticks out 3/4" beyond the barrel, or flush when I have a Trulock choke installed. Maybe I'm just used to the length because I have not felt like it has hindered me at all. But then again I'm usually a contender for the crease award.

I shoot Scope-Tac, and keep a plug in my bag in case I end up in a match that does not allow loading more than 8 in the tube. But I have yet to run into that requirement at any of the local matches which are run using IMGA rules.

Edited by 2MoreChains

I run the M2 American with the same set up as 2MORE above... The added length has not bothered me (and this Benelli is still a lot lighter than the 24" 1187 that I switched from). I actually think (take this with a grain of salt, because I am a 60 - 65%'er at national level events) it has advantages. I run IC chokes all day and take out plates that 18" and 21" inch guns have issues with...

I vote for whatever you can get your hands on first. I looked for about 2 months before I came across a used 24" locally.

photo_13.JPG

Before, I was running a 21.5" 1187. It is a great gun, but too hard to load quickly. Here is a pic of the 2 side by side.

photo_2_7_.JPG

The Benelli is 2" longer than the 1187, but, as pictured, weighs 15oz less and can hold 2 more shells. After handling the 24" for the past week, I don't think the extra 3 inches will be any kind of hindrance. If I find it does, I'll just get a 21" barrel.