Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New sizing die

slavex

So I finally bit the bullet and made my new die. Well, my buddy did all the work actually. We took a new RCBS Carbide 9mm die, drilled and tapped it and put a new Dillon decapping assembly in it. He had to make a spacer nut so that we could adjust the decapping rod height, and lock it in place. Luckily he had some bar stock that was exactly the same as the Dillon rod top. End result? AWESOME. no more squished springs like the RCBS Power Punch suffered from when it hit hard to eject primers, no more broken punches (at least not yet), and it runs smoooooth. Wicked setup. I don't use a Dillon die on my 1050 as I feel they undersize the case too much, always resulting in that weird hour glass shape to the case once loaded.

post-2879-071922400 1298022838_thumb.jpg

post-2879-078422200 1298022824_thumb.jpg

post-2879-000072300 1298022833_thumb.jpg

Edited by slavex

I don't use a Dillon die on my 1050 as I feel they undersize the case too much, always resulting in that weird hour glass shape to the case once loaded.

smile.gif...pretty sure this was a solution to a nonexistent problem. I like the ingenuity regardless. But, at the pressures that 'my' 9 major (or any 9mm loads for that matter)

run at I, want to see that slight hourglass shape.

Jim

Rob,

I am not assuming you do not know this...

It's a matter of degree. Reloaded 9's display the hourglass glass shape commonly regardless of sizer used. Simply because it is a tapered case. Measure a reloaded round on the top at the bullet base, in the center well below the bullet base at the bottom near the case head. The center "should" be the smallest dimension measured.

'Excessive case mouth flaring' in my experience causes an 'offset seated bullet'. Which results in drop gauge and chambering failures.

We want that 'slight' hourglass shape on our 9mm reloads as insurance against bullet set back, a dangerous issue very easily archived with the 9mm tapered case. Only a .03" set back can be catastrophic.

Jim

I've never had an issue with bullet setback, and yes I do know that the case is slightly smaller in diameter below the bullet. However, I find the Dillon die over does this. Changing nothing else in my press other than the sizing die and the cases will not fit the Wilson gauge. Throw the RCBS back in and it's good to go.

I find the Dillon die over does this

Yes. "Slight" being the operative word here.

Out of curiosity, have you used your barrels chamber (removed from the gun wink.gif)

to check your finished rounds? I've used all of them and nothing has proved to be a better "go no go" gauge then the chamber they're being fired from.

And, yes I realize a majority of third party gauges are undersized. They're also quite different dimensionally then our guns chamber. It's pretty strange what

drops in one, wont in another. cheers.gif

Jim

Not sure why people would want to see the hourglass shape. I do know that if I use the Dillon die in place of the RCBS that finished rounds will not go into my Wilson 9mm case gauge.

It's simple. The hour glass shape insures the bullet has a nice shoulder behind it to prevent setback. It's not a defect, it's not a bulge, in fact it's the exact opposite of a bulge. It doesn't cause issues with failing the case gauge either. That is caused by other issues. So functinally, it's just safer IMHO. Something else is going on with your Dillon sizer. It may not be sizing all the way to the base. When we talk about "hour glass" most people are referring to a die that sizes smaller then the bullet all the way to the base. IF the die is not sizing the base and the base is sticking out then it will fail the gauge. But thats not what we are talking about when we say we like the hour glass shape.

teh hourglass shape is indeed as you describe. whatever it's doing, I don't like it, some people may, I don't. I prefer the RCBS die, as stated, hence my reason for making this die up. I've since done 25 for various people here and on other forums. so I guess while we might be in the minority, there are others who feel the same way.

teh hourglass shape is indeed as you describe. whatever it's doing, I don't like it, some people may, I don't. I prefer the RCBS die, as stated, hence my reason for making this die up. I've since done 25 for various people here and on other forums. so I guess while we might be in the minority, there are others who feel the same way.

Thats because people don't understand that it's not a defect. They think reloaded ammo should look like factory ammo.