Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Elite vs. XDM (both in .40)

STIGUY

Contemplating a IDPA and a USPSA Production gun and trying to decide between the two. Both will be in .40 as that is what my Edge is and would like to stay with one caliber for reloading. Have looked at the CZ models, but did not like the look as much. Some have mention the bore axis or something critical of the XDM. More importantly, I have never owned a polymer framed gun, so I was thinking more weight means better recoil control for a novice like me. I am not Leatham, Sevigny etc.. and DO NOT pretend to be nor do I have their time or free ammo. I want a gun that is easier to shoot faster with less practice than a pro. You thoughts and suggestions are as always greatly appreciated!

XDM will put you into ESP for IDPA. When you said production I assume you mean SSP in IDPA. I would go with a M&P Pro. it feels like a 1911 grip.

I prefer my XDM to my 226 because of the trigger function, otherwise they have about the same bore axis.

Contemplating a IDPA and a USPSA Production gun and trying to decide between the two. Both will be in .40 as that is what my Edge is and would like to stay with one caliber for reloading. Have looked at the CZ models, but did not like the look as much. Some have mention the bore axis or something critical of the XDM. More importantly, I have never owned a polymer framed gun, so I was thinking more weight means better recoil control for a novice like me. I am not Leatham, Sevigny etc.. and DO NOT pretend to be nor do I have their time or free ammo. I want a gun that is easier to shoot faster with less practice than a pro. You thoughts and suggestions are as always greatly appreciated!

I have a p226 that i NEVER shoot any more...

the gun is operates reliably and it shoots straight, but my biggest grip with it is the placement of the slide release..

the problem i have with it is that i shoot mostly 1911 style guns with a thumb safety. and as most shooters i tend to ride the thumb safety as I'm working my self through a course of fire.

the slide release on most p226 guns is in the same place as thumb safety which means that if you practice the same grip on your 1911 and in your p226, you will ride the slide release 99% of the time, making it impossible for the gun to slide lock on an empty mag...

a gun not going to slide lock on an empty magazine can be a buzz kill in the middle of a uspsa or idpa stage.

the only practical solution seems to be to change your grip. but if you shoot a 1911 or a 2011, this means you might not always deactivate the thumb safety or you might bump it back on if you don't ride it.

Anyway if you mostly shoot 1911 style guns and you don't want to have to master two grips, i would stay away from the p226.

cheers,

Los.

Edited by carlosa

Having shot a P226 and an XDm, as well as owning an XD in .40 and an M&P pro 5" in 9mm I would say to go with the XDm or an M&P if you are going polymer. I did a lot of research before I bought either gun and have been very happy with both in IDPA and Concealed Carry. The XDm can only shoot in ESP but the M&P can shoot in SSP or ESP.

The P226 is a good and reliable gun but, if you are used to shooting other types of pistols, the placement of some of the controls is somewhat awkward. You also need to take into consideration that the P226 Elite is DA/SA (even with the SRT trigger on the Sig) and all of the others are the same trigger pull each time. You CAN be good with a DA/SA but overall having a trigger pull that is the same every time will help because it is consistent.

Yeah most people i talk to are shocked when i tell them this, but sigs DA/SA factory triggers really suck...

the reset on the single action pull is beyond horrible....

i bought mine when i was more naive about guns, and now... well I'm kind of not sure what the big fuzz is all about...

Edited by carlosa

• 3 weeks later...

SigSauerP-226SCT2-1.jpg

SigSauerP-226SCT.jpg

SigSauerP-2269MMStainlessElite2.jpg

SigSauerStainlessElite.jpg

I currently own and shoot 2 Sig 226's. An SCT, (Super Capacity Tactical) which ships with 4, 20 round magazines, and a Stainless Elite. Both exhibit good quality and handle and shoot like typical Sigs. Of the 2 I prefer the Stainless Elite because it is slightly heavier and I like a heavy gun. For every day carry the SCT would have to be the better choice. Naturally the 20 round mags in the SCT will fit the Stainless Elite. The slides on these guns fit exceptionally well, and the sights are superb. I'm not too "trigger sensitive". I think the factory triggers on the Sigs are exceptional, but as always your mileage may vary. Bill T.