Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prod Gun for CA - Fullsize M&P or SP-01?

Doug W

I am new to the forums here and new to uspsa in general. Unfortunately, the only pistol I have - CZ 75 SA 9mm - doesn't really work for any of the uspsa divisions. To top it off, I live in California and am not part of any privileged class. This means that I have two choices for getting something that I can compete with, buy a roster compliant gun or buy a gun privately.

Now I know that this is a personal decision and I have found two styles of gun that I feel comfortable with and wouldn't mind running: S&W M&P and the CZ line. I was planning on competing in production. Here is the problem. Ideally the two guns I would be comparing would be the SW M&P 9L or pro and the CZ SP-01 Shadow, but neither are available for me in California (as a new gun). That leaves me with the SW M&P 9 full size (4.25" barrel) or the SP-01 or even the CZ 75b (non Shadow - with FPB).

Not that it is a major factor, but I can get the M&P for 502, SP-01 for 628 or a 75b for 512. I would have 4 10 rnd mags for the CZs already.

On to my question. Would a non 9L 9pro or non Shadow be a hindrance for competition? Other than the barrel length on the M&P and the FPB on the CZ, what would affect building a nice gun for prod? I am unclassified now and realize that I probably will not capitalize on any differences in the near term, but I would like to buy for the long term and expandability with respect to upgrading to a competitive platform.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Doug W

Between the 2 choices you have, it depends on the style trigger you prefer.

CZ is DA/SA

M&P is DAO/ striker fired, somewhat like Glock.

Since Production doesn't allow much in terms of mods, that's the deciding factor for me.

You have just named a couple of the most popular models in the sport.

On to my question. Would a non 9L 9pro or non Shadow be a hindrance for competition? Other than the barrel length on the M&P and the FPB on the CZ, what would affect building a nice gun for prod? I am unclassified now and realize that I probably will not capitalize on any differences in the near term, but I would like to buy for the long term and expandability with respect to upgrading to a competitive platform.

I would say no hindrance. It's a production gun, intended to be stock. Spend/worry on the difference in gear on range time/match fee and ammunition to practice.

I'm knocking on M with a stock 92FS :surprise: in Production

If you are interested in gear modification, definitely look at Limited and Open division pistols.

BTW, where are you located? Welcome to the most addictive sport!

I'm member of to IPSC clubs in So. Cal. PM me for details.

Between those two IMO it's a no brainer, having owned and had lots of trigger-time with both I'd far and away go for the SP-01.

Better ergos, soaks up recoil, and likely more inherently accurate than an M&P, install a $65 competition hammer from czcustoms and you're talking about a much nicer piece than any M&P can ever be even after installing everything Apex makes for 'em these days... With the FPB in there compared to a Shadow after doing tge comp hammer you're only looking at about a 1/4" longer reset and that's about it, great gun.

• 1 year later...

I've been wondering this same thing. My wife wants a 9mm to shoot...so I figured I might as well get one I could shoot in production too. Everytime I think I have found one I like.... it's not legal in Ca. :(

I'm open to anything really.... but I keep hearing good things about the SP-01. Nobody around here has one to check out, so I'm holding off until I can at least hold one.

• 2 months later...

I have both an Apex fully loaded M&P 9L and a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom from CZC. I like them both so much I have a really hard time deciding which gun to shoot my Tuesday night IPSC-style practice match. I must admit I like the fact that the M&P's trigger is the same every shot, as opposed to the CZ's D/S action. But the extra weight of the CZ makes for a very flat shooting 9mm production gun. It really is a toss-up IMO, you can't go wrong with either.

I am new to the forums here and new to uspsa in general. Unfortunately, the only pistol I have - CZ 75 SA 9mm - doesn't really work for any of the uspsa divisions. To top it off, I live in California and am not part of any privileged class. This means that I have two choices for getting something that I can compete with, buy a roster compliant gun or buy a gun privately.

Now I know that this is a personal decision and I have found two styles of gun that I feel comfortable with and wouldn't mind running: S&W M&P and the CZ line. I was planning on competing in production. Here is the problem. Ideally the two guns I would be comparing would be the SW M&P 9L or pro and the CZ SP-01 Shadow, but neither are available for me in California (as a new gun). That leaves me with the SW M&P 9 full size (4.25" barrel) or the SP-01 or even the CZ 75b (non Shadow - with FPB).

Not that it is a major factor, but I can get the M&P for 502, SP-01 for 628 or a 75b for 512. I would have 4 10 rnd mags for the CZs already.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can get either of the two guns you're most interested in via a Single-Shot Exemption transaction: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153335&view=findpost&p=1717918

I purchased an XDm 5.25 9mm this way. Got the gun from GrabAGun.com, who sent it to Springer Precision for a trigger job and front sight install, who sent it to Valkyrie Arms for the transfer. On all fronts, it was the most painless gun transaction I've ever dealt with here in CA.