Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aguila Mini shotshells

SVI4ME

I was reading the new front sight and I was ready Bill S.'s article on the shotgun and loading with Tec-loaders. They showed some of the mini shotshells from Aguila. I see that they are 7.10 for 20 through the factory. Where can you get these at a good price? I would like to get some and play with them.

Thanks

I don't want to sound like the sales representative for Aguila Ammunition or Centurion Ordnance (US Importer) or the sponsored shooter for Aguila, but I can provide some insite.

In a Winchester 1300 the mini-shells will function with no mods to the gun and trouble free. There will always be the freak gun out there and the shooter who had trouble with them, but in our testing we had no problems at all.

In most other pump guns, as long as you don't work the action to quickly then they function 100%, but fast or too fast is a relative term, and will result in poor or less than desireable performance. Problem is the shells flip 180 on the elevator and try to feed backwards, the way my great luck runs, if I feed one backwards the gun will find a way to make it fire, and I will be even uglier than I am.

In all Semi Autos they will not run reliably without some work. Recoil operated guns will require springs alterations since the shell produces less energy. Tuned right, and I'm not the gunsmith they run fine. In gas operated guns, the work is less technical, at least the way I worked it. You have to let more of the gas into the system to function the bolt, again since the shells produce less overall energy. In every semi auto we worked with the mini-shells produced enough energy to eject the spent hull 99% of the time, and 100% of the time they would not cycle the bolt far enough to pick up the next round. On my 1100, I had to open up one of the gas holes ( about yea big) to solve that problem.

Downrange performance was like you could expect with less shot, or with the slugs with less energy. In my 1100 they are like shooting a .22, and as long as your pattern covers the target; steel will fall and birds will break. Accuracy from the slugs was as good as any tactical loading of slug I have fired.

I talked to USPSA a great length to get them legal in USPSA, and with a little fine tuning of the gun they are pretty cool and way easy to handle. Not that I would get caught dead in a cowboy outfit.... but the short hulls sure do clear a side by side quickly when follow up shots are the order of the day.

I stand corrected.

It sounds like these might be kind of cool for an open gun then. Did you guys try them with speed loaders? I guess if they didn't work too great with those you could always just reload to 2 3/4 shells.

-ld

Did you guys try them with speed loaders? I guess if they didn't work too great with those you could always just reload to 2 3/4 shells.

If they don't work in the Tec loader, they would be of no use since max capacity is fixed.

I would want a mag tube that could not hold more than 10 of them if I were to use them to prevent a match DQ.

Sorry guys, I'm going to end up sounding like an old record player, but ....

I understand that the USPSA will be adopting most of the revised IPSC Shotgun rules.

On this basis and for USPSA Shotgun and USPSA 3 gun you need to be aware that there is likely to be a minimum PF requirement of 520, otherwise you're shooting for fun rather than score.

For USPSA please check with John Amidon or the USPSA offices to check my comments above.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot... How in the world am I gonna figure PF with my shotgun?

Are they gonna pull the wad and weigh the shot? Shoot it over the chrono?

Since I shoot limited or tactical, the short shells are of no use to me with the max loaded cap, but I hope they do start running the Chrono with shotgun.... The funny tales will never end and we will all be in stitches.

Are they gonna pull the wad and weigh the shot?  Shoot it over the chrono?

Actually you hit it on the head. You pull the wad, weigh the shot and shoot the same number of rounds over the chrono as per handgun (average velocity to count as per).

There are some changes to the procedures compared to handgun but the concept is the same. See Section 5.6 of the shotgun rules.

Some 250 competitors were chronoed at the European Shotgun Championships.

This really outta be a hoot! Or a pain in the butt one, but I can't wait to hear about the chrono's that get blown away from this.

I know that shouldn't happen, and that at the standard chrono range distance the shot is little more than a big fat bullet going downrange... but all of us have seen chrono's sent into the afterlife at major matches.... with a 12 ga there won't be any stopping in purgatory, it will be straight to hell with that unlucky chrono. :o