Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any experience with the uniquetek toolhead set screws?

JaviPT22

Looking into making the dillon 550 more precise with bullet seating/ case resizing for 308. Anyone have experience with the uniquetek's setscrews for the toolhead? Does it work? There is a fair amount of wobble, which doesn't bother me when loading for pistol. Thanks in advance for the advice. I am looking for every way to keep using the 550 if I can...

Not sure about that product but you may check out Whidden tool heads.

The dies float so as long as the shell plate and die holes are aligned the die can "wiggle" a little to self align with the case.

I have used a floating die setup for quite a while and it works well, good enough for David Tubb anyway.

I believe the CNC machined toolheads sold by Uniquetek are the Whidden ones.

I have about four-five that I use for LR rifle on a 650 (using the screws to attach). I think it has taken some of the play out. In my case I just wanted to be able to use my 650 as a semi-progressive for the LR reloading that I do. Didn't want to free up more bench space for a single stage when I have three perfectly good Dillon progressives.

I also did the rotary bearing tweak that was talked about on the Reloading forum within BE. The CNC toolhead plus bearings seemed to have smoothed it out and I get great LR results.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the above advice, loading .308 for precision shooting. notice an improved average OAL with the whidden toolhead and set screws. Can get oal's of 2.800 to 2.802 using the same headstamps.

• 2 weeks later...

COAL is effected by inconsistent tips on most bullets, if you want maxium accuracy sort your bullets by Ojive and Bearing length and seat by Ojive length.

I use 2 of each of these to sort bullets and 1 when seating, remember you said percision.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=709931

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=724733